Wednesday 23 August 2017

Wednesday 23 August - Bad Bentheim

Where's Bertie? He is unmoved from his spot at the Stellplatz in Bad Bentheim.

What a glorious day it has been today! Lots of blue sky in today's snaps.

After a run and showers, my forgetting to turn the water heater off led to a bit of hand washing being done, which in turn led to us needing to stay in whilst it dried (being not in a location where we could get the rotary airer out or string up a line, the best I could do was to hang it from open windows).

Mick did venture out to the Tourist Office to use their wifi, which we later discovered isn't limited to the location of the Tourist Office, but is also available in our Stellplatz. Bonus! I don't need to spend time reducing the size of my photos in this blog post, as I usually do, to save on mobile data.

By the time we had eaten lunch the washing was dry and off we went to the castle, passing on our way the remains of a moat, containing ducks, goldfish and at least 4 terrapins:



I paused on my run to take this snap and now that I look at it I realise I should have taken it again later, when the sun was higher

Once through the second gate, which requires the payment of €5 a head, a manicured lawn lay before us:


Up onto the walls we went to look down on the gardens next to which we are parked:

Not roses and lavender as I stated yesterday, but roses and thyme.

The tower was next on the agenda...

...the top of which gave extensive views over the mainly-flat landscape.

Then, via a sparse museum housed in one of the buildings on the long edge of the lawn, it was into the hall (think National Trust-esque stately home) that was rebuilt in the late 1800s/early 1900s having fallen into a state of disrepair after being heavily damaged during the Seven Years' War in the mid 1700s:


Our castle tour was followed by a walk around the town, before frittering away a chunk of time in the park, taking advantage of t'internet (we are now well stocked up with podcasts and I've read a few more posts on a blog I only read when I have unlimited internet access).

Tomorrow, I do believe we will finally leave Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment