Sunday 8 October 2017

Sunday 8 October - Taussat

Where's Bertie? His wheels have not moved; he's still at the Aire in Taussat.
Weather: A bit overcast for a few hours in the middle of the day but otherwise sunny and warm.

It never ceases to amaze me how many people we see out exercising in mainland Europe, to an extent that I can't think that we've seen anywhere other than London or on the popular hills of the UK. We joined the masses this morning on the local Voie Verte. It's a disused railway line that has now been made into a cycle route, but cycling was not the majority activity going on there between 10 and 11 this morning, with a good representation of walkers, runners and in-line skaters. We were in the running camp.

We had just finished our run and were just cooling down by walking back to Bertie, when I remembered that I had put €2 in my pocket with the intention of going to buy fresh croissant on the way back. An about turn and a gentle jog took us into the village, returning with me clutching a bag of goodies.

A number of hours curiously evapourated and suddenly it was mid-afternoon, whereupon I decided a strollette was in order. That became delayed when one of our neighbours pounced on us (almost literally) just as we were setting off, and proceeded to talk to us for two whole hours (I feel like I should perhaps have some emphasis there, such as: Two. Whole. Hours!). Note, this wasn't a conversation. Aside from interjecting a few English words when he struggled to find them, our input was not required and the subjects covered were varied ... and very longwinded. I was starting to fear that we would be there until dark, when he finally realised that he had been talking for an unreasonably long time and let us go.

As I type this the sun is sinking low in the sky, which is clear again, meaning it's going to be another cool night. The afternoon temperatures at the moment are perfect (warm, without being hot), but it takes the day a while to get there.

(Post script: Our neighbour gave us a knock this evening to tell us he had been out for a nice bike ride. An hour and a half later...)

No comments:

Post a Comment