Wednesday 29 November 2017

Wednesday 29 November - Cóbreces

Where's Bertie? He's still at the commercial Aire at Cóbreces.
Weather: Mainly heavy rain, with a few hail showers mixed in, and just a few sunny spells.

By quarter past eleven this morning I had all my running gear on, including trainers, but was procrastinating on getting out the door. Rain always sounds worse on Bertie's roof than it is in reality, but even so, there was no denying that it was very wet out. At half past eleven I bit the bullet and ran.

There was one flood and countless unavoidable puddles to splash through, and by the time I got to the top of the hill and turned into the wind, I could no longer feel my thighs. Shorts are my legwear of choice in the rain as it's less fabric to need to get dry (and they're made of Pertex, so are very quick drying), but finding that not only was it wet and windy, but also only 4 degrees, they may not have been the best choice.

Mick went out when I got back and he got caught in the first hail shower of the day, as well as catching a particularly torrential downpour.

By the time we went out for lunch, Bertie's bathroom had thus become a drying room.

Lunch was at the same restaurant as we visited a couple of weeks ago. We both chose badly on the starters, but that was put entirely right by swapping with each other. I also failed to be specific enough on my coffee and, for the first time ever, was served one made with milk. As milk is, to my mind, a substance of the devil, I donated it to Mick, pouring most of his espresso into it, as mine was a decaf. All in all though, another excellent meal and for €9.20 a head.

We loitered in the restaurant beyond lunch, waiting for the rain to abate enough to make a dash back to Bertie. Meanwhile, a pilgrim walking the Camino left, then a while later came back to shelter some more. It was not a nice day for a walk today.

The weather wasn't conducive to doing anything after lunch, beyond hotfooting it back to Bertie. It's not forecast any nicer tomorrow either.

No comments:

Post a Comment