Thursday 28 February 2019

Thursday 28 February - Sagres

Where's Bertie? He's in a very large car park, by the fort on the headland just outside of the small town of Sagres (exact location: 37.00527, -8.94565).
Weather: Lovely and sunny, but with an increasing wind making this afternoon feel cooler than this morning.

It's been a day of beaches and coastline. I didn't want to leave Lagos without seeing the beach, so after a walk up to the post office this morning we crossed over the pedestrian bridge to the marina (timing it badly, arriving just as it lifted for a yacht to pass through) and headed south.

I'm not a fan of soft sand, and even down at the shoreline we didn't find a firm surface, so it was a flying visit. We walked down to the water, admired the huge expanse of sand, wondered how crowded it gets in summer, took a couple of snaps and walked back.
Looking one way down the beach...
...and the other
Not much time was left on our parking ticket by the time we got back to Bertie, but we only used a fraction of it to stow the last few things and get on the move.

As we're rapidly running towards the end of this trip, we missed out the next couple of places we would have liked to have visited along the coast and made for Sagres instead, parking Bertie in a large car park that sits between the town and the fort: 
Fort straight ahead, Bertie on the left.

It was a disappointment to find that one can't access the headland without paying the fort's entrance fee (a bit like Land's End, I suppose). So, we didn't visit the most south westerly point in Portugal (indeed, in Mainland Europe), but walked a little loop along the cliffs, into town then back on the other side of the headland, which gave us some rather nice views:

For that walk I was wearing socks that had come off the knitting needles only minutes earlier:
After making two pairs of socks from the blue stripey yarn, and a pair of socks, two pairs of fingerless mitts and a pair of gloves from the rainbow stripey yarn, I thought I just had enough left over to combine into a pair of trainer socks. I did indeed and now just those five tiny rolls remain from the original 4x100g balls. In a continuation of the 'using up leftovers' theme, I think I'll cast on a hat next, even though it's not remotely hat weather.

2 comments:

  1. Going back to my query about loading photos:
    after a post on the Camino Forum, I got a reply from someone recommending the app BlogTouch Pro by Denk Alexandria. There is a version both for Blogger and Wordpress and it loads photos properly. So I'm going to try that this weekend. I think this is the one you mentioned earlier and it obviously comes for both type of phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find that one on Android and after a bit of Googling it seems that it's only available for iOS. A shame, as I've now discovered there's a major limitation of Blogger Pro - there's no facility to save posts off-line. So, if you have any problem publishing (or as I did yesterday, just go off and do a few things on other Apps for a while), you lose the entire post. Still much friendlier to use than the Blogger Dashboard, but given that I've often found myself composing a post in a location where I have no internet access, it's not an ideal long-term solution.

      Delete