Wednesday 20 February 2019

Wednesday 20 February - Silves

**Where's Bertie?** He's still at the commercial Aire at Silves. I didn't mention yesterday that there's also showers here (50c for 5 mins) and a laundry.
**Weather:** Some cloud about, but plenty of sunshine too. 

I'm going to tell today's story in a bit of a random order. With this many photos, and with Google having broken the photo-posting interface with third party apps, I thought it would reduce the pain of using the Blogger dashboard if I added all of the photos in one go. Unfortunately, it's not put them in chronological order and with only my phone as an editing tool, I can't move them about. 

We'll start, therefore, with the biggest excitement of the day, which was the Volto ao Algave international multi-stage bicycle race coming straight past the Aire. I'd thought something was afoot when I saw a chap set up a folding stool on the pavement across the road. About half an hour later a flashing police car came past, followed at intervals by lots of police motorcycles. Sometime amongst all this there was a general exodus from the Aire as people went to see what was going on. Mick joined them (Bertie's the nearest van to the entrance to the Aire, facing the street, so I watched from the comfort of the sofa): 

It was quite a while before any bicycles came along, and then it was only five. I felt sure that wasn't going to be the end of it, given how many cars, festooned with brandnames and with roofracks full of very expensive looking bikes, had been past. Sure enough, a while later the peloton made an appearance ... and about 10 seconds later it was all over.


Skip forward a while, and we took another walk around the town. Portugal's towns and villages seem to be full of abandoned houses, many with only their exterior walls still standing. It's a strange thing: there will be two well presented houses, and in between them a shell. This magnificent house, with which Mick was rather taken (for a while I feared we were in line for a permanent move to Portugal for one heck of a renovation project), is on its way to joining them, but for the moment it still retains its roof:


On the opposite corner is another unusual building, in that it is the typical walls-but-no-roof-or-windows shell, but, perhaps because of its position making the adjacent square look untidy, it has been given quite a paint job:

Skipping back in time a tiny bit, we took a stroll over the old (of Roman origins?) bridge, from where this snap was taken, looking up at the castle and cathedral. The river, incidentally is tidal, even though it feels like we are a good way inland - there was much less water in it when we ran around the riverside park first thing this morning:

Back again in time - after the bikes and before the walk - we were sitting minding our own business, when there came a knock at the door. Two students were selling cakes and savouries made by their mother. Well, it would have been rude not to, wouldn't it? My goodness, they don't skimp on their cake portions:

I'll finish with a quick mention of the storks. There are a huge number around here. Looking up into the sky in front of Bertie early this afternoon, there were 12 to be seen circling around. Many more are sitting on nests. The sound of clacking beaks is often to be heard. This couple seemed to be checking out the potential for this sawn-off tree as a nest sight:

The only other news of the day is that we have already extended our stay here to four nights, so we'll be here until at least Saturday.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for solving a great mystery for me! A month ago, my Blogger App stopped loading photos onto my blog (Caminoconfidential.blogspot.com.au)
    I assumed this was because I had reached the storage limit after 5 years of blogging. So I migrated to Wordpress and all the faff of learning a new program. I was using a 3rd party app because the tiny screen on my iPhone 5 makes it hard to use the Blogger Dashboard. How did you find out about Google's change of rule? Why couldn't they send me an error message?
    PS I came to your blog via Mean Queen and enjoying your travels as I go to Spain every year but have not spent much time in Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret! I just got a little distracted looking at your blogs, which is where I shall return in a short while.

      It's been difficult finding out much about this latest Blogger fault, but as far as I'm aware Google is still denying that it's a problem of their making (a bit like they did initially with the 'notification of comments' fault last year). I only became aware that it was a general issue when I started looking for an alternative App when Bloggeroid suddenly stopped posting photos, only to find that on the same day all other Apps had reviews reporting the same fault.

      Assuming it's not fixed before the end of this trip, I'll be looking at alternative platforms when we get home, as my current method (type text in Bloggeroid; post blog; edit in Blogger Dashboard to add photos) is far too painful.

      This is our first trip to Portugal. It was on the agenda for two previous trips, but on both of those occasions we travelled so slowly through Spain that we ran out of time. So, for this trip we made a determined, nearly blinkered, beeline to the border. I'll no doubt post our full thoughts later in the trip (which may change from the current view), but as it stands, after very nearly a month in Portugal, we're both of the opinion, for a number of reasons, that we prefer Spain.

      Delete