Thursday 9 May 2019

Sunday 5 May to Thursday 9 May

We ended up spending six nights in Peebles (overnighting in 4 locations). Sunday was overcast, but dry (save for a few flakes of snow) with decent air clarity, so a good day (if we overlook the -7 windchill) for walking the horseshoe including Dun Rig. That was my final Marilyn of this portion of the trip; there was one more I had pencilled in, but having thrown myself to the ground with some force at the end of Sunday's outing, I opted to defer that one to some unknown future date.

I can't think we did much of anything on Monday. I recall making some chocolate snack bar thingies - a recipe that's well suited to a motor home kitchen - but most of them have curiously disappeared over the last three days. I must have done a fair bit of knitting on my latest jumper. I'm loving the cables on this pattern, but as every row requires concentration, without any mindless rows of just plain knitting, I am regretting making it out of cheap, poor quality yarn that I know will look tatty very quickly. I wonder if I'll still like the pattern when I'm working of the second iteration, once I've bought some nice wool?

 Tuesday saw us relocate ourselves to a campsite in between Musselburgh and Prestonpans, on the coast to the south of Edinburgh. It was our third choice of location, with the first two (cheap certified campsites) being booked up, but actually this one was the most conveniently located and had the benefit of a laundry, which I put to good use in the afternoon.

Yesterday (Wednesday) I took myself off for a short jogette in the morning, in the hope that when I next run, in just over two weeks' time, my legs won't protest too much. It didn't rain heavily on me, but the rest of the day was miserable and wet - a good day for staying in and re-packing our backpacks, hunting down all the kit that has migrated into various nooks and crannies over the last three weeks.

Today marked the end of the first leg of the Bertie portion of the trip. He was fully drained down* at the campsite service point then taken to a secure caravan storage site where he suddenly found himself abandoned in unfamiliar surroundings, although with dozens of neighbours and another Hymer right next to him, he'll hopefully not miss us too much whilst we walk across Scotland.

We're now well into a full day of public transport that should see us arrive in Dornie (west coast of Scotland) at 1930. All being well, in a couple of weeks we'll arrive in Montrose (on the east coast). I'll be blogging as we go on our walking blog at: http://gayleybird.blogspot.com.

(*We last put water in Bertie's tank on Easter Monday, 22 April, filling it to just over 90 litres. Yesterday we dropped below 30 litres remaining and today we drained away the excess. Draining is something we usually do on the driveway at home so we don't have to stand around waiting for the four drain points (grey water, water heater, pipes, clean water tank) to stop flowing. The 10-litre hot tank was the slowest to drain.)

No comments:

Post a Comment