Thursday 21 May 2020

Thursday 21 May – Random Witterings from Home #17

British Loaf Bouldering Championships

My last post included a photo of a not-entirely-successful loaf of bread and Conrad commented that it looked like there could be some good bouldering routes on that loaf. When I examined the photo again, I could see exactly what he meant and responded to the effect that it was a shame that I don’t have any photo manipulation software (nor the knowledge as to how to use it).

Humphrey has the tools and the ability, and this morning sent a link to this photo:


What a good laugh that gave us, as we uttered our assessment of ‘Brilliant!’. Thank you Humphrey!

Spot the Difference

The background Humphrey has used for the Loaf Bouldering was our latest ‘Spot the Difference’, as put together for the Virtual TGO Challenge. There are twelve intentional differences between these two photos (plus at least a couple of minor accidental variations), eleven of which are easy to find:

 



Spot the Difference (Howard & Hilda edition)

When we parkrun abroad, Mick usually wears his official ‘parkrun’ apricot t-shirt. Most people have these personalised with the name of their home parkrun and thus it’s normal for others to look at Mick’s chest to find out where we’re from. However, Mick’s shirt isn’t personalised, because being uncertain as to the most appropriate size, I played it safe and got him a plain one (which could have been returned for an exchange, if needed).

When parkruns got suspended back in March, parkrunners all over the world continued to go out for solo/family runs every Saturday morning, and lots of reports hit social media and podcasts of various ‘new’ parkruns – like “Ben’s back yard parkrun” – some courses requiring hundreds of circuits to achieve the required distance. parkrun HQ responded by lifting the restrictions on what you could have printed on the apricot t-shirts (previously only the name of an official parkrun was allowed).

I tussled with the purchase for weeks, on the basis that I couldn’t justify spending so much on a t-shirt. Then I remembered my birthday, ignored the fact that it’s not this month (nor next, nor the one after…) and announced to Mick that I knew what he was getting me for my birthday. As I didn’t get him a present back in February, he decided to join me in the frivolous t-shirt purchases.

I think our choice of personalised wording describes perfectly where we’re from:

His-and-hers matching! 

More cakes?!

I won’t share yet another cake photo, but this week’s baking was better justified than most as Mick nipped up to Halifax to help his mum out with a few things on Tuesday and, as I couldn’t go with him, I sent her some cakes instead. She’s been completely isolated since the beginning of March, so she was understandably excited to see one of her boys. It was a nice enough day (although not overly warm and a bit breezy) so they got to spend some time sitting (distanced, of course) in the garden whilst he did the necessary admin.

On another baking-related note, if we weren’t social distancing I might have hugged our next door neighbour this week when he came around with flowers flour (a bag of plain) for me. Yay! Woop woop!

If I can just get hold of some more bread flour (I’m about to put a loaf on and it’s going to wipe us out again), then all of my flour desires will be met.

3 comments:

  1. Well done Humphrey. I'm impressed. You even got the shadows in the right place. I use Photoshop Element 15 - what are you using? I wish I'd thought of doing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photoshop CC 2020 - the deal is to place each and every element, including shadows, on discrete layers. And take care to separate out the backgrounds from the individual files before you start bringing them in to the composite. Email me if you'd like more detail - Gayle has my address. All the best. H.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humphrey - that sounds more or less the same as I do in Elements. Eliminating the background is a somewhat tedious process but it's all good fun.

    ReplyDelete