Thursday 17 January 2019

Thursday 17 January - Villedômer

Where's Bertie? He's in an Aire at Villedômer. It's free to stay here. (Exact location: 47.54487, 0.88725).

One of the attractions of spending last night at Neufchâtel was that the Aire sits opposite a disused railway line recreation route, and I was very much in need of a run after three days of sitting down. Waking to the sound of rain drumming, and feeling the wind rocking us, wasn't ideal, but I wasn't going to go for another day without some proper exercise, and running was clearly the most time efficient way of achieving that. Mick also knew that was true, but weighing up the comfort of the duvet with the cold and wet outside, he opted to stay put.

The outward leg of my route was particularly unpleasant, as rain lashed me in the face, soon freezing my thighs and cooling my feet. The return was better, as by then it was daylight, I'd largely warmed up, the rain had stopped and the wind was behind me.

It was 11am, after a stop at a supermarket, by the time our day of driving started. The most interesting thing about it was the insistence of the TomTom SatNav that we *really* needed to take an overly long route. We went with the opinion of the Garmin, which whilst lacking in user friendliness and functionality, has thus far chosen better routes.

As Mick retook the wheel for the final driving stint of the day, I set about choosing somewhere to stay the night, and struggled for a while not due to a lack of options, but because everywhere I was selecting was either too far or not far enough. After having decided to just drive until 1630, then look what was nearby, I had the brainwave of looking to see where we had stayed last time we had made this journey south, given that tomorrow night's destination is the same as it was on that trip too. That's how we came to be at Villedômer. It made today shorter than we had intended, and tomorrow longer, but we know that we've done that journey in a day before and neither of us has any memory of cursing the length of it at the time.

Once again, there's little to report since arriving here. There's a goose who is diligently guarding the other side of the parking area, providing us with some entertainment in the process, and we've both been out for a leg-stretch. I called it a day after one lap of the town, as it had started to rain and I didn't feel the need to get wet for a second time today. Mick duly continued until his Fitbit was happy with his efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment