Where's Bertie? He's at Anchorhold Campsite in Brewood, at a cost of £25 without electricity.
Weather: sunny and warm (23 degrees)
Whilst we remain largely trapped at home whilst waiting for an appointment date to be set (for Mick to have an ultrasound on his eye - who even knew such things existed?), Bertie was getting itchy tyres and feeling like he was overdue a trip out - particularly as he's seen Erica galavanting off for overnight trips. We thus conceded to his wishes, and I planned to recce the Staffs Way between Cannock Chase and Kinver over the course of three days.
I didn't need an early start, for the distances I would be doing, which gave us time to get Bertie packed and nip to a supermarket on our way to Cannock Chase. Lunch was then had in a large layby where decidedly dodgy activities were afoot, with various people hanging around shiftily in front of one particular set of bushes, before wandering off across the road into the undergrowth. They were all alone and none of them was dressed as you would expect for a turn around the Chase (particularly the one in a pencil skirt and stockings with lines up the back). Meanwhile, many users of the layby stared intently at us as they passed.
With the clock about to strike 1pm, Mick dropped me just a little further along the road, and off I headed, almost immediately leaving Cannock Chase and heading to the village of Bednall.
I'm not sure if it was the sunshine and warmth that caused me not to mind at all that I was, for much of the time, crossing and walking around field after field, but I think it helped that they were massive arable fields and I was often on higher ground, giving me relatively far-reaching views. That's not to say that there weren't trials: freshly ploughed fields with rough margins; overgrown sections (one ridiculously so) that have left me with tingly, nettled legs; a dog that leapt clean over a 6' fence and only came to a stop when it met with the end of my walking pole; and a horse that chased me across a field ... only for me to realise as I exited that I'd missed a turn half way across (I didn't go back). I also expect that some parts would have been far more arduous had ground conditions been wet.
The final 3.5km were along a canal, about half way through which Mick phoned to alert me to a problem. He'd decided to head out to meet me, but found access to the tow-path to be closed. Whilst he was scouting around for a way to access it, I paused, as I just happened to be at a bridge where I had my last opportunity to escape the tow-path before the closure. Poring over the map and aerial images whilst Mick explored, I suggested that maybe he could try the pub car park, and sure enough, there were some steps onto the tow-path. That was a relief - I wouldn't have relished a detour around on roads.
Soon after Mick met me, he pointed across the canal and said that Bertie was but 100m away, on the other side of the water. Having not a packraft with us, and with no convenient passing boat to beg a lift across from, we walked the long way around.
Leaving Bednall, this turned out to be the tamest patch of nettles on my route today, but being so early on, it didn't bode well. Deer. Not farmed, just loitering here en-masse.Thankfully the walkway was sound, it was just the railings that were slouchingIf you're going to have a park home around here, then I can't fault this for a location. I bet no one has walked via that 'public footpath' fingerpost for quite some time.At least the line of the footpath was obvious in this field. My route goes straight on. This area was choked with Himalayan balsam, laced with brambles and nettles, giving slow progress for a couple of hundred metres. PathPathThat's betterWhere boat hulls go to die











You know what I think about "paths" round ploughed out fields. Spme of these LDPs I guess are invented in a council chamber by folk whose motives are unlikely to arise from a passion for walking. Just following the herd having observed that a neighbouring body have devised an LDP in their area, so "we must have one," and then randomly stringing together a number of of long forgotten rights of way on the map.
ReplyDeleteCould the suspects near the bush have been looking for a Geocache?
I hope all is ok with Mick and his eye problem.
DeleteAs you may have seen from my 'part 6' post, I now have to give the Staffs Way more credit than I originally thought to be due to it. Now I've seen most of it, I can see that its designers made efforts (and largely succeeded, when you take into account that we are talking about the English Midlands) to route it through interesting areas, but I guess that they couldn't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear when it came to the Uttoxeter/Abbots Bromley/Rugeley areas. (Disclaimer: my views may have been skewed by weather and ground conditions. Had it been overcast with waterlogged ground, my opinion of the route may have been less positive!)
That said, I don't disagree with your views in general. The Maelor Way springs to mind!
The dodgy behaviour: I did wonder about geocaching, but I've stumbled across a number of geocaches in the past simply by seeing someone behaving oddly and realising what they were about. These people weren't doing any sort of looking around, but just loitering and looking shifty.
DeleteEntertaining as a one-off from a people watching point of view, but I won't be using that layby again!