Wednesday 15 August 2018

Wednesday 15 August - Obrigheim

Where's Bertie? He's 20m away from the River Neckar, at a Stellplatz at Obrigheim (exact location: 49.35039, 9.09959).
Weather: Overcast start, clearing slowly all day, such that there is now not a cloud.

Over the last couple of days of perambulations around the Stellplatz at Lauffen, I'd seen a number of Waymarkers and had gleaned from them that there was a 10km lollipop shaped route. I didn't go out of my way to find the start point (Bertie was parked near the 1km & 9km marks), but today I decided that, rather than simply running up and down the river, I would follow the markers.

It took me meandering through the vinyards and orchards that run up from the river - with the emphasis on 'up'. It seemed when I finally reached the top that I was standing on the highest ground in the vicinity.

Within half an hour of arriving back at Bertie I was (cold!) showered, breakfasted and we were on the move, heading for Obrigheim, 40km down-river.

Given more time, I'm sure we would have been waylaid with at least a night in
Bad Wimpfen, which looked like a place worth visiting, but as we are now on a schedule, we stuck with Plan A.

The Stellplatz here (which is a shared car/motorhome parking area, running parallel to the river) is in mixed surroundings. We've walked in both directions along the river today, and the valley itself is attractive, with a large flat plain, bordered with steep slopes covered in trees, meadows and orchards, with large clusters of houses. That sounds lovely, but there's also a lot of industry and infrastructure nearby, which makes it feel a lot less like we are in an idylic landscape.

Here's an illustration, with my view as I sat outside crocheting this afternoon:

But walk the few paces to Bertie's back bumper and look very slightly right, and the outlook becomes less attractive (and at times, quite noisy!):


As well as watching the huge commercial barges passing on the river, our in-Bertie entertainment this afternoon has come from our neighbouring van. We can't understand a word they are saying, so have no idea what the content of their conversation is, but they come across as Herr & Frau Grumpy, completely displeased with everything they see and hear, including each other. It's a wonder they travel if everything makes them so unhappy! (Or, to give the benefit of the doubt, maybe it's just an accent and mannerism thing and they're really perfectly happy ... although I haven't heard them laugh or seen them crack a smile yet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment