Sunday 12 August 2018

Sunday 12 August - Steinheim an der Murr

Where's Bertie? He has not budged an inch. He's still in the Stellplatz at Steinheim.
Weather: Wall-to-wall sunshine and hot (as I type, at just gone 7pm, it's still 34 degrees inside Bertie. It is starting to cool down outside).

An excellent start to the day for me: a 12-mile run along the River Murr and then the Neckar, almost entirely on dedicated cycle/foot paths (mainly shaded too), with a bit of off-tarmac here and there. All was quiet when I set off, on a much cooler morning than any of the previous few weeks, but by the time I was approaching half way, other runners and cyclists started appearing. I'd seen lots of both by the time I returned to Bertie, but the runner that wins the award for a hard workout is the chap who I followed for a short while, before he suddenly disappeared up into the vinyard terraces. As I passed the gap in the lower wall, he was storming up the steep stone staircase.


Gorgeous morning for a run along the river, and for floating in a hot air balloon above it.

My pace was exactly what Mick had expected it to be, so he was waiting for me at the bridge at the end of the car park when I finished. He then took the role of chief photographer as I went and sat in the river. Much colder than my previous two river immersions, but very nice for the thighs.


Hopefully it's understandable that the rest of my morning involved eating, drinking and reading, but we did take ourselves off this afternoon for a walk along the other nearby river (the Bottwar - much smaller than the Murr, and for most of the time it wasn't within sight anyway).

That was a sweaty business, so shade was sought when we returned, which has equated to sitting behind Bertie, under a large oak trees, which is regularly dropping acorns. It's a wonder neither of us has yet been hit.


I'd my translation amiss? Women's parking places?!

No comments:

Post a Comment