Wednesday 3 June 2020

Wednesday 3 June – Random Witterings from Home #21

I did something today that I haven’t done since the first week of March: I went to a shop unnecessarily. It feels frivolous and a touch reckless!

Since our visit to Ikea in Murcia on 5 March, I have only been into shops to buy food* and since returning home those supermarket excursions have been far fewer than is our norm.

Today, however, I decided that I was going out for some compost and weedkiller (and a few other items that I ended up not buying, either because they didn’t have them in stock or because I was dithering too much over the purchase) none of which could be considered essential**.

Not wanting to involve myself in any queuing (although with today’s rain, I’m sure that many people were put off from venturing out into retail settings), I set out early and as it was before 8am when I was passing one of the main supermarkets on my way to my compost mission, I nipped in to see if I could get the things we’ve been managing without, that aren’t available in Lidl. I came out with a couple of bags of shopping (yeast was amongst the items available, although I noted that their flour shelves were in a sorry state of emptiness) and proceeded further up the road to B&Q.

The entire excursion turned out to be surprisingly stress-free. Both shops are so big and (due to hour of day and weather) were so quiet as to make movement around the store easy and the customers seemed mainly to be courteous and to have got the ‘keep distant’ message, unlike those I’m generally encountering in Lidl.

(*Mick shopped with me three times during our remaining time in Spain, but has not been in a supermarket in the UK since the beginning of January!

**Not essential, but I’m sure my seedlings that have now been thinned and transplanted are heaving a sigh of relief as a result of the compost purchase.)

No comments:

Post a Comment