Friday 26 June 2020

Friday 26 June – Random Witterings from Home #24

Sunday
After all of those weeks of sunshine, we had rain. Somehow, I failed to think about the effect of several days of rain and the result was a really poor route choice for last Sunday’s run:


Just before I took these two snaps I’d had to duck under wet foliage that had drooped low over the path.

I’ve really enjoyed exploring so many of our local roads and lanes over the last three months, but now have the problem that increased levels of traffic make some of those roads undesirable places to be on foot. This cross-country route was designed to avoid one particular lane; it achieved that aim, but at the cost of being a horribly slip-slidey mudfest in places. I came out on the road at the other end with thoroughly wet feet.

Tuesday



A couple of days later my route choice gave me a much better surprise: the tow path has been mowed, broadening it considerably.

Wednesday

This year’s first yield of produce from the garden! They went from bush to jam jar in half an hour.

I’m expecting to do a lot of preserving this year, so have an unusually large collection of jars sitting waiting. I could thus have taken my pick of more appropriately sized jars.

More produce in the making. Photos taken 3 days apart.

Thursday

I spent a good chunk of yesterday peering into one of Bertie’s lockers* and sitting in his cab contemplating the accessibility, for wiring purposes, of various bit of facia. Another chunk of time was spent understanding the wiring of his Electroblock (the thing shown in the photo) and researching the connectors I would need (and where I could source them) to tap into one of its spare fuses.

The result is that, after three and a half years, I think I may finally get around to buying the gubbins required and fitting a few USB sockets, meaning that when we want to charge something we won’t have to open the TV cabinet and furtle around in its depths to plug an adaptor into the only cigar-lighter-style 12v socket that runs off his leisure battery.

Today
The white shoes somewhat ruined the ensemble

I’ve been splashing the cash on unnecessary indulgences again and was ridiculously excited when the package containing my new running skirt came through the door on Wednesday. This morning it had its first outing. Jolly, isn’t it?

(* On a Bertie-related tangent: Sometime in February, whilst pootling around Spain, we lost a tea towel. How we’d managed it was a mystery, but a search of all probable, and some improbable, storage locations didn’t turn it up.

Four months later (and probably some three and a half months since I forgot about the mystery), it was finally solved. After another coffee & crossword date in Bertie and I finally remembered that there was a set of bedding stowed in one of his least accessible cubby-holes. And there was the tea towel, folded neatly between two pillow cases.)

3 comments:

  1. What a varied jolly post. How do you carry your camera when you are running? I have a belt pouch but more recently have found I am slipping it into a pocket - for me easy and quick access is the priority.

    Love the skirt.

    I once lost a mobile phone. I had searched the car a dozen times and found it about three months on down the side of the seat below the handbrake - its colour and size and shape made it look like part of the car's infrastructure but it was still annoying to think how many times I had looked but not seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My camera is my phone, which also serves for navigation (not needed for that purpose at the moment, but the maps are often called into service when running in unfamiliar places) and to play podcasts/audiobooks. These days my main criteria when buying new running legwear is that it has to have at least one phone-sized pocket. This new skirt has a stretchy pocket on the side of the leg of the built-in lycra shorts, as well as one in the back of the waistband, although it's a tight squeeze to get my phone into and out of the latter.

      My original (rather dull, black) running skirt is still my favourite in terms of cut and fit, but doesn't have a pocket into which I can fit my current phone, so when I wear it I either have to go phonelessly, or wearing my 'vest'. I'm not sure how to describe the vest, so I'll pop a photo into my next post.

      As for losing things in confined spaces: I think the biggest annoyance is that you *know* there aren't that many places the missing item can be, yet still it won't reveal itself. Of course, it doesn't help when the item is a phone that camouflages itself with the fittings!

      Delete
    2. Incidentally, before I made a phone-sized pocket a firm requirement of all new running legwear purchases (I make it sound like I'm a shopaholic; my running wardrobe isn't really that big), I used a phone pouch that sat around my waist. I'm now not sure how I put up with it for so long, as it would ride up and start bouncing around my waist, causing me to tug it down approximately every ten paces.

      Delete