Thursday 30 July 2020

USB Sockets for Bertie: Update 1

On 10 July I outlined my plan to fit some USB sockets in Bertie and said that all the parts were on order. I patiently waited for them to arrive, then waited some more whilst one incorrect delivery was corrected (seller’s mistake) and one item was reordered (the switch I’d ordered was, I decided, too small).

Once everything was in hand, I must have either been distracted elsewhere or the weather was miserable for the rest of that week as no further progress was made. I had plenty of free time last week, but I’ve too many times done myself a mischief whilst carrying out tasks that involve contorting myself and kneeling a lot, which was something I couldn’t afford whilst my focus was on completing the Virtual Lakeland 50. I then procrastinated some more, waiting for a nice warm day, but today I resolved to get the task done, starting with drilling some holes into a bit of scrap wood* to check the fit of the switch/sockets before wielding the drill in Bertie's direction.

Holes in a piece of scrap chipboard - a new low in illustrative blog photos? 

I confess that at no point in planning this job did it occur to me that I would need any new hole saws/drill bits as I assumed I already had the right sizes. The test holes established that I could certainly get away with using 22mm and a 32mm respectively, but both are a bit big so require the switch and socket to be perfectly centred so as not to show any gap around the edge. 

I dithered a bit then decided it was worth the expenditure and wait to buy the appropriate sizes (cue another chunk of time lost to choosing exactly which bits to buy and from where).

I couldn’t let another day slip by without any progress, particularly as it was such a nice day, so I’m pleased to say that I have now run the cables through Bertie’s belly and to the places they need to be.  It proved to be surprisingly easy; I didn’t even have to holler to Mick for help and was all done in half an hour.

To be continued…

(*Absolutely no good reason why I didn’t do that last week or the week before and, in hindsight, it’s a shame that I didn’t.)

2 comments:

  1. I may have missed the answer in previous posts here, but what do the new USBs allow you to do that you couldn't before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was a question that warranted an answer involving photos, so I've just published a new post on the subject.

      Delete