Sunday 20 September 2020

Project Erica - Part 9: Solar & Ceiling

It seems to me that no matter how many different types of crimp connector I buy, when I come to do the next job on Erica's wiring I find that I'm missing one that I need. That's why I've just had to fire up my laptop, for yet another purchase. It feels like I must be heading towards owning every type and size of connector there is on the market.

Whilst I''ve got a keyboard in front of me I thought I'd just pop in here to leave a link to the latest installment in the 'Project Erica' series, when we finally (a month later than anticipated) get a solar panel up onto the roof, which allowed us to insulate the roof and return the header liner to its rightful place. The latter action has done wonders to free up room in the house!

 


There's a bit in this video, in the attrociously framed shot where I'm talking about running an extra wire through one of the ribs, that makes me smile every time I watch it. It's subtle, but Mick nods whilst I'm talking, then gives a smirk that betrays that he knows he's being mischievous. The significance of this is in the 'outtakes' at the end of the video, showing a couple of snippets that immediately preceded that bit of footage. 

Right! Back to cutting bits of wire to size, even if I can't crimp all of the ends just yet. Meanwhile, Mick is out in the sunshine applying varnish to furniture.

4 comments:

  1. All very interesting. You are making a first class job of it, better I think than some of the proprietary efforts and you will end up with something made to your personal requirements and also a thorough working knowledge of all components.

    That device for measuring the height looks like something from the Spanish Inquisition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's certainly been a learning curve associated with this project and I'm much better informed on many associated subjects. It's almost a shame that we're not going to jump straight from this build into another, just so that we could do it more efficiently and even better!

      The upright of that measuring device* has also given excellent service as the guide rail when using the circular saw. (*You know the bookcase in our dining room? That piece of wood was supplied as an end piece for the bookcase, but it arrived damaged. The company sent us a new one but, obviously, didn't want the old one back. For no good reason, I kept the damaged one, and eight years later it has proved to be most useful!)

      Delete