Thursday 12 November 2020

Project Erica: Part 16 - Grand Tour

I posted a new video on YouTube last weekend, giving a full tour of Erica now that she's as good as finished (really must buy some flooring...). You'll find it here:


By way of a reminder, at the beginning of August we took delivery of Erica, nearly two weeks after we bought her, and having never seen her before. At the time she looked like this:


A few days later and we had her stripped back to this state:

Then the real work began, and continued on until October, when she came to look like this:


Not exactly like that because until a few minutes before I took this snap this afternoon she had three matching sets of curtains and one odd-one-out set. Today I took the odd set apart and remade it, using up every last scrap of the cream fabric and almost all of my black-out material off-cuts. 

There are still a few things that we will do to Erica in due course, aside from fitting some flooring, such as tinting her windows (or having them tinted, or most likely tinting her windows badly, ripping it back off then having them redone professionally), fitting some rain deflectors to her front windows, and re-upholstering the sofa and the head-bumpers, but they're all nice-to-haves, rather than necessities, so I'm in no great rush.

4 comments:

  1. Good. It looks really smart and I reckon a lot of that behind the scenes insulation etc. is superior to many commercially made vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could well be right and, of course, because we made her we know far better what is behind the scenes than we ever would if we'd bought an off-the-shelf vehicle.

      Delete
  2. You guys have made a fantastic job. I have followed it from start to finish. Can I make one observation and I know it’s personal choice but I think your cabinets would have looked a tad more modern in a soft grey. Hope you don’t mind my comment after all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I don't mind your comment at all. Our original plan had been to use a fancy campervan furniture board for the furniture, which would have been very contemporary, then when we used plywood (for fear of doing a bad job and ruining an expensive piece of board) we considered painting it, before finally opting for the varnish. Personally, I really like the patterns of the grain of the wood, but as you say, it's personal choice.

      Delete