Tuesday 7 November 2023

The Fibroid Diaries, Part 2

It's two weeks ago tomorrow that I was operated on and, as one would hope, my body is healing more by the day.

I would have been off the painkillers for a week, if it hadn't been for a two-day migraine last Wednesday/Thursday that knocked me for six (and against which the painkillers did very little, but I took them in hope). I've also now finished my course of blood thinning injections and Mick had a thoroughly frustrating time trying to dispose of the sharps box and left-over injections in the proper manner (why leftovers? Because apparently it's not possible for the hospital pharmacy to take three fully packaged injections out of a box of ten and give them to someone else, or deploy them within the hospital, so I had to take a box of ten, with instructions to only use seven).

My scope and range of physical activity has also expanded greatly, although still cautiously and in accordance with guidelines. I found a leaflet from the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (who surely know what they're talking about in these matters) that said that I should build up my walking and that '30 minutes after 2-3 weeks should be achievable for many women'.

So my forays to the nearest lamppost got pushed to one driveway beyond the lamppost, then two driveways, then another, then the big leap - all the way to the corner (a 200m round trip). The next day I rounded the corner and went to the next corner, then on Monday I crossed that road and went half way to the next corner (400m total).

I thought that stood me in good stead for a Big Outing today. Mick drove me into town and we walked to Wetherspoon, where we had breakfast for lunch (followed by pudding, because why not?)...

The crossword, visible on the left, explains why we were sitting side by side, rather than the more normal arrangement of opposite each other. 

...then as Mick went off to buy me some sexy lingerie, I strolled back to the car. Two sets of 500m walks, with an hour or so of rest/eating in between, at a pace of around 14.45 per kilometre.

(As for the lingerie, I may be stretching the definition given the reality of big granny knickers (although they do have lace on the waistband, if that helps?), but I've been finding my usual pants are just the wrong height of rise and irritate my scar, so I now have underwear that comes all the way up to my navel. It's surprisingly comfy. Is it reasonable to start wearing granny pants as a general rule before the age of 50?)

By the time we got to the supermarket, where I was never going to do anything more than sit in the car, I was tired. The moment we got home I took myself off to bed to sleep the afternoon away. It really is surprising how exhausting it can be to walk a distance that, a couple of weeks ago, would have felt so trivial.

The other big milestone is that I made my own lunch yesterday (smoked salmon and scrambled eggs on toast, if you were wondering). I'm still letting Mick make most of my cups of tea, but he has now accepted that tea-making is within my range of permitted activities.

The only other thing to report is that I've knitted four socks in the last two weeks and have just embarked on a jumper. My brain is often too fuzzy to concentrate on anything significant (like reading) so watching YouTube and knitting fills the time.
I didn't trouble myself to move to take a decent snap of them. This is pair #2, with slightly mismatched toes due to not having quite enough yarn to achieve a full match. 

4 comments:

  1. Great progress Gayle. I’m saying nothing about Mick buying Granny Knickers, but I bet he wore sunglasses and a beanie at the till.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an informative post. Our BBC North West Tonight local news requests nominations at this time of the year for the award of a Christmas Star, usually for somebody who has done something above and beyond. If you were in my locale I would be nominating Mick, firstly for his general help, but overwhelmingly for his bravery on the knicker hunt. especially if it turns pout he didn't go along with Alan R's suggestion.
    Please keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only just caught up with your blog and the awful tale of your hospitalisation ordeal. (I've been away in Japan on an Arne & Carlos holiday: they are knitting designers from Norway. Google them if you haven't come across them!) I am shocked at your treatment in hospital. I have to say that it's more common to have private health insurance here in Oz. When I had a hip replacement a few years ago in a private hospital, I was looked after extremely well, good food, physio advice, surgeon even checked in on me on Sunday, his day off. My partner, John, was not so good as a carer when I came out though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just caught up with this horrible ordeal. I hope that by now you are much better. May we see you at Rosliston on Saturday?

    ReplyDelete