Monday, 3 August 2026

Monday 25 to Sunday 2 August - Clapham

Just for my own records: 

Where was Bertie? He spent six nights at a Temporary Holiday Site at Clapham (the N Yorks one) at a cost of £8 per night. 

Weather: general pattern of cloudy mornings, with a short spell of rain most days, then clearing to a sunny afternoon.

Mick's knee wasn't up to doing much, so it was a very gentle recovery week for him, with the daily activity being a cafe visit. 

Tuesday it was Goat's Gap cafe, just a few minutes' drive from the campsite. Wednesday we met up (after I'd been out) at The Old Sawmill Cafe for lunch. Thursday it was an outing to Settle (did we go to the Old Naked Man or the one next door? I think the latter) where we chatted to a mother and her 4-year-old daughter out on a day-trip from Kirkby Stephen, as the daughter had been obsessed with going on a train journey, being able to see the train line from their farm. Friday it was back to the Old Sawmill, and on Saturday Vicky and I met up with Mick at the Old Sawmill after our outing. 

Other than that, I nipped up Ingleborough twice. On the Wednesday, when I got caught in some horrible weather on the upper reaches, I was chuffed to do the route in almost exactly the same time as I managed the last time I did it - two years ago to the day.

On the Saturday, friend Vicky & I did a very chatty Ingleborough circuit in good weather. The combination of being the weekend, in the middle of summer, and with fine weather meant it was busy indeed on the top. Unsurprisingly, early on Wednesday morning with lashing rain and no visibility, it was deserted.  

We failed to attend any of the social events at the campsite, such as the Wednesday scone and tea ("bring your own chair and mug") or Saturday night bingo. Sunday morning's breakfast social (same rules as Wednesday's scone and tea) was just starting as we left to head home. 

(Posted 26 August, but back-dated to early August, more in keeping with the timing of the trip)  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment