Friday, 2 October 2026

Wednesday 30 September - Staffs Way (Part 7)

Weather: after early rain, sunny and warm (22 degrees max)

On 13 September, I covered the far north end of the Staffordshire Way, from Mow Cop to Rudyard. With the Leek C&CC campsite lying just a few miles from Rudyard, I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to go and do another section, and what may well be the final really warm day of the year seemed like a good choice to me. 

The heavy rain that fell as we breakfasted didn't worry us, as all forecasts were in agreement that come 10am it would be sunny, and so it was. That, of course, meant that I wasn't in a rush to get an early start, and it was gone 10.30 by the time I stepped out of the car at Hotel Rudyard, where I'd finished my jaunt a few weeks ago. 

I'm pleased to say that it was another good section. The first 5k were along the engineered canal feeder channel, sheltered by mature trees. The only inconvenient bit along there was where a whole herd of cows were standing on the embankment-top path, causing me to have to detour around them. Some thought about giving chase but after some stern words from me, they thought better of it. Alas, when back on the embankment, the unfortunate effects of many hooves on ground that had so recently received heavy rain were evident and I slip slid my way along. 

The gpx file I've been following contains quite a few little out-and-back spurs, where the person who recorded it went a little awry in their navigation. I've been trying not to blindly follow, but just before Ladderedge Country Park, I kicked myself when I got to a road only for my watch to tell me to make a u-turn. Having not long passed a bridge, I turned to go back to it, only then to look again and realise that the bridge in question is on a number of informal routes within the country park, but it's not a Right of Way. Thus the Staffs Way's official route doesn't use it, but does exactly what the gpx file said: it goes up to the road, across the road culvert and then goes back on itself, along a roadway on the other side of the water. I also learnt as I reached the road that the section I'd just walked along was closed due to a hole having opened up in the path. I saw no hole, nor any closure sign when coming from the other direction.

Within the Country Park, the gpx track took a couple of wanders off the line of the Staffs Way as marked on the map, and the reason became apparent when I got there: the mapped route heads straight through brambly undergrowth. I opted to follow one of the paths, then out of curiosity I circled around to double check I hadn't missed something. I concluded that there are two feasible routes, both of approximately equal length, but the one that goes up the outside edge of the woods not only takes you to an excellent viewpoint, it also avoids a descent to reascend.

The 'joining bit' of path, between the Country Park and the canal was on higher ground, giving good views, then, after dropping down, it was fast going along the tow-path. 

Mick, meanwhile, had driven from Rudyard to Kingsley and Froghall Station, on a heritage steam train line, where he'd enjoyed a cup of coffee and had an 'overly soft, overly sweet' brownie in the station cafe, before he abandoned Erica in neighbouring Kingsley and headed out to meet me. We found each other just S of Consall Station, along the canal. 

It wasn't all swift tow-path walking from there, as the route planners had decided that rather than continuing along the waterway to Froghall, it should climb steeply up out of the valley on some steps that could do with some minor upkeep before they get to the point that they need full-blown maintenance. 

The final field before Kingsley Church had caused Mick a minor navigational issue on his outbound leg, and it did exactly the same to both of us on the way back. There are various RoW that cross it, and after a little wandering we found the right one. It didn't help that there was an erroneous Staffs Way marker on a gate where the Staffs Way doesn't go. 

Reaching Erica, a late lunch was had, before we tootled the 10 miles back to the campsite. 

Leaving Rudyard dam along the waterway that is labelled on the map initially as 'aqueduct' then as 'canal feeder'. Either way, it was a peaceful and pleasant route.
It came out of the trees at times to go through fields. The cows forming a blockade on the path were in the  next field from this one. 
It's lumpy enough in these parts to make the views much more interesting than in the middle section of the Way. 
Urgh! Heavy morning rain + cows = churned up mud.
View from the the Country Park. 
 
My best view of the steam train (or at least it's trail). I had been alongside the track, but not when a train passed.
Mick's best view of the steam train. He was luckier with his position/timing.
Mick's coffee & cake location, whilst I was making my way towards him. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment