Wednesday 21 November 2018

Wednesday 21 November - Neufchâtel-en-Bray

Where's Bertie? He's still exactly where he was yesterday, in the Aire at Neufchâtel.
Weather: A cold and murky start, but a gloriously sunny afternoon.

Two things have been achieved today: a run and some laundry.

Mick joined me for the first five miles along the disused railway line, which saw us run 2.5 miles in a southeasterly direction, before turning around and running back. It was a dry, but grey, day and the coldness of the air was again a bit too noticeable.

By the time Mick left me on the return (to go and buy some croissant, whilst I continued on past Bertie) I had decided that I wasn't going to run for 2.5 hours, per my original intention. That decision to cut short nearly got reversed, as heading NW I was so very comfortable. Then I had to turn again for the final leg back to Bertie and, my goodness, the comfort evapourated in an instant. Of course, by then I was fair glowing, which didn't sit happily with a Baltic easterly wind.

Coffee and croissant were waiting for me when I got back (he's a good chap, that Mick, you know) which were swiftly followed by lunch, during which time I multi-tasked and did laundry too. I had considered walking into town to the laundrette, but the saving would only have been 70c compared with using the facilities at the Aire, and the value of being able to use machines only 50 paces away from Bertie was worth far more. (Later I found laundry facilities in the car park of the nearest supermarket, which were cheaper still. Had I known about those, I would have deferred laundry until we left here, and we would have gone and parked next to them.)

By this time, the day had surprised us by becoming gloriously sunny, so whilst a few garments that I didn't want to subject to a commercial tumble drier fluttered on the washing line, we took ourselves off for another bit of a wander. Nothing exciting, unless browsing French sports shops and hypermarches is your thing!


The only photo I took today. All those yellow vests on dashboards - there's certainly support for the fuel protests, although there doesn't seem to be any new news about them today, so I suspect they've died down until le weekend.

2 comments:

  1. We went to France for the day today, 21st .. Audricq market, Dunkirk & Petit-Fort-Philippe. No signs of any fuel protests anywhere.. lovely sunny day, if a bit nippy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that by last Wednesday the protests had died down to almost nothing. In fact, based on the figures quoted in the press, it's surprising we encountered so many protesters on the Tuesday (numbers had apparently decreased from 280k to 10k between Saturday and Monday). We did encounter one more protest today, but very low-key and non-disruptive.

      Delete