Friday 16 November 2018

Friday 16 November - Doudeville (a town full of dudes?)

Where's Bertie? He's sitting comfortably in an Aire in the town of Doudeville (exact location: 49.71995, 0.78776).
Weather: Foggy.

I won't utter a 'boo' or a 'hiss' at another day of fog, as it did lift slightly more today than yesterday and, even though there was not a hint of sunshine, it brightened enough for our solar panel to do its job and charge the things we wanted to get charged.

Before that happened, as we drove out of Étoutteville mid-morning, it was still sitting thick around us. Fortunately, our journey was not a long one - less than 7km from Aire to Aire. I had voiced concerns this morning that Doudeville wouldn't be for us, thinking that perhaps it was going to be too big a town for our liking, but as it was so close we thought we may as well have a look at the place before we rejected it. Immediate impressions were favourable - a spacious, level, motorhome parking area separated from the rest of the car park by hedges, next to some very grand houses, just on the edge of the town centre.

The town itself has the look of having been thrown together in a very piecemeal fashion over the centuries; there's a huge array of building styles on show, all mixed together.


The church is the only building of which I took a snap.

Our explorations took us out the other side of town, as the map suggested there might be an off-road location for a run over there (the uncertainty being that a track shown on Open Cycle Maps is not necessarily a right of way). It was a particularly successful recce as this post...

...gave me all the information I needed to locate and download some tourist leaflets about the two waymarked walking routes that come this way, as wikiloc.com had drawn a blank on this occasion.

There then proceeded a couple of hours of the afternoon during which, in hindsight, I shouldn't have bothered picking up my knitting to 'just do five more rounds'. I knitted, I unknitted ('tinked'), I knitted, I tinked, I knitted, I tinked, then finally, I managed to get it right (actually, I had it right the second time, but I didn't realise that until I tinked the third time). I'm hoping that the second sock of the pair will behave better.

I rounded my day off with a small look around our immediate area*, whilst Mick waited in for a phone call. The fog had lifted reasonably well by then, even if it was still a decidedly murky day. Based on the forecast I was being unduly optimistic that this was the end of the current weather pattern, but alas, as darkness fell so the fog descended again.

(*I did nip out once more. There's a supermarket about a minute's walk away and I nipped over there for two items needed to make tonight's tea. I came back with four items, only one of which was on my list. Doh!)

2 comments:

  1. This is all very well, but what's the cake shop like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very heavy on the cream and as I'm not a fan of cream, we made do with two very nice (and very large) croissants.

      Delete