Tuesday 3 March 2020

Monday & Tuesday 2-3 March - N of Mazarrón and Archena

Where's Bertie? After 10 nights' absence, he's back in the Aire at Archena. Yesterday he was at the Repsol petrol station to the N of Mazarrón.
Weather: Yesterday was sunny after a slightly overcast start, but windy. Today has been gloriously sunny, with a stiff breeze building this afternoon.

Bertie was being gently rocked by the wind as I set out for my run yesterday morning. He was being less gently rocked by the time I got back. Having established that it was a south-westerly, I opted to run in that direction first, so I could get the 'battling against' bit out of the way. It turned out that I was semi-sheltered for much of the time, although it was only when I uploaded my route afterwards that I realised that was because I'd (fortuitously!) taken a wrong turn early on and not followed the route I'd plotted.

Taken as I hit the coast and started feeling the full brunt of the wind.

Taken just after I turned and started enjoying the strong tail wind.

We didn't hang around in Puerto de Mazarrón once I'd breakfasted. Mick's laptop needed charging again, so we were heading back to the Repsol station, and if we were going to pay for electricity then we may as well make the most of it by getting there sooner rather than later.

The wind really picked up as the morning went on. I don't think we hit the forecast of gusts of 48mph, but poor Bertie pitched and rolled the day away. With sand and dirt being flung all over, it was no hardship to stay indoors.

Yesterday's stop at the Respol station was the first stage of a period of repetition that will likely last until the end of this week. Today we went from one petrol station to another, revisiting the BP station by Ceutí where we did laundry a couple of weeks ago. We were later arriving today and there were already a couple of motorhomers (plus a couple of locals) using the laundrette. Another couple of vans arrived before we left; we're obviously not the only ones to appreciate a good quality self-service laundry facility where you can park on the premises.

It was a toss-up then between Ceutí (slightly nearer) and Archena (nicer surroundings; easier access to the riverside path).

We'll likely be here for a couple of nights before returning to the Aire by Ikea just outside of Murcia, where we will sit in Ikea for many hours availing ourselves of their wifi whilst drinking coffee, eating cake and probably having lunch too (not had any wifi for weeks; there's a lot of stuff to be done!). That will then mark the end of our repetition and Bertie's nose will be turned northwards for a long journey (by our usual pootling standards) to skip up past Valencia to an area we've not visited before. Unless anything noteworthy happens in the meantime, I'll probably not post again until we get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment