Wednesday 11 March 2020

Wednesday 11 March - Castellón Grau

Where's Bertie? He's at an Aire opposite the beach, and just along from the port, at Castellón. Exact location: 39.97983, 0.02255.
Weather: A lovely sunny day and warm enough to be out in shorts and t-shirt.

A 40-space free Aire with a service point right on the coast is always going to have more demand than spaces. Fortunately this place also has a 48-hour limit, which is allegedly enforced*, so we employed our usual tactics in such cases and arrived at 10.30am - the peak time for departures in our general (non-city-Aire) experience. We arrived to find plenty of availability, but an hour and a half later all slots were full and van after van has since arrived, driven around optimistically then left. Bertie is probably fuelling their optimism as he's smaller than his neighbours, and we've parked him right at the back of the slot, so on the approach it looks like this space is empty.

Looking across the beach

With elevenses time rapidly approaching we headed off towards the port, passing a large nice-looking park on our way, just beyond which we found a Mercadona supermarket that supplied us with bread and some very tasty pastries.

Looking down the beach

Post elevenses and pre-lunch we headed off in the other direction, walking the broad beachside promenade/cycle route until it met a road. The map tells me that the route continues along that road giving a total length from Bertie of 5.5 miles. That will be useful for a run.

This afternoon I broke the rules, although in my defence: a) I didn't know about the rule at the time; and b) it's a ridiculous rule. A few days ago I witnessed a woman spend hours cleaning her motorhome and wondered how she could possibly find that much to do in a space so small. I decided that she put me to shame, so this afternoon I threw Mick out for a while whilst I swept and scrubbed. It was only afterwards, when I took myself for a little stroll that I stopped to read the full regulations for staying here and discovered that 'cleaning any part, inside or outside' is prohibited. So, no wiping down the stove or the worksurfaces after tea tonight...

Sculpture of the day

(*I reckon the fact that the parking bays are so narrow also encourages both greater compliance with the 'no camping behaviour' rule and less inclination to overstay.)

No comments:

Post a Comment