Saturday 3 October 2020

Project Erica - Part 11: Much Proudness Surrounds Kitchen Completion

In last week's Project Erica post, I referred to how we have put together detailed schedules for past projects. What I long ago learnt in making such plans is that all tasks should be allocated at least twice the time that my initial gut-feel suggested it should take. Sometimes a ten-minute job does only take ten minutes, and that is always a bonus, but oftentimes a ten-minute job takes half an hour*.

I didn't have any firm idea in my mind as to how long it would take us to build Erica's kitchen, but I can say with certainty that never in my wildest 'add x%' dreams (or nightmares!) think that it would take anywhere near as long as it did, nor did I anticipate that we would run into quite so many hitches (some of which were quite ridiculous and entirely of our own making).

The time it took was, however, worthwhile: I'm soooooo chuffed with how it has turned out.  

Here's this week's video showing us getting to that end result.  

(*Or longer. Sometimes a lot longer. I'm sure that if I gave Mick the keyboard at this point he would tell a few tales on me...)

2 comments:

  1. That is looking so good.
    I have a router stashed away which I only used once to fit rails to the bottom of a sliding door for my brother. Tou have motivated me to get it out and give it a try. Your video demonstrates well how one might be used.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I can be pretty poor at responding to comments, but I completely overlooked this one. Either I didn't get an email notification or I accidentally deleted it without reading. Sorry about that!

      Now that I've used the router, I'm kicking myself for having left it unused for so many years. I hate to think how many times I've cursed my way through manually chiseling out hinge recesses and the like over that period.

      If we find ourselves knocking around at home for another few months once Erica is finished, I'm vaguely thinking about a little project in the kitchen which will put both the router and the pocket hole jig into good use.

      Delete