Saturday 24 October 2020

Project Erica: Part 15 - Ta Dah! (Kinda)

Three videos in the space of a week: that's how quickly things progressed towards the end. Hot on the heels of completing the electrical installation, attention was turned back to the sofa/bed, which had sat almost untouched since we first made the frame back in August. 

Finishing the bed required some upholstery fabric and I had been tardy in ordering samples, so we needed something as a stop-gap (we ordered the foam with a stockinette cover which snags easily, so we couldn't just throw the uncovered foam in, even temporarily). That led us to make a trip into town (second time this year that I've ventured into town and last time was only to one specific shop) to do a trawl of the charity shops, which netted us a pair of curtains for £6. I can't say that either of us was wild about the design, but aesthetics weren't important for our immediate purposes; however, a week down the line and I have to say that the look is growing on me. We do now have the fabric samples I ordered (bar one that didn't arrive)...

 

I *really* don't like the one on the left. All of the others are in contention.

...the question is whether we go ahead and buy our choice of fabric, or whether, for now, we stick with what I've already made?

It probably didn't make sense to go as far as covering the head bumpers with the temporary fabric, but I wasn't going to reinstall them in their nasty yellow vinylness, and without them we had holes in Erica's header liner. I reckoned I had just enough fabric left to do them (golly, it was tight! Had to join two pieces together for the one above the tailgate and one of them only has about 5mm wrapped around to the rear of it) so I did a quick job with some double-sided tape.

The few scraps then remaining were allocated to making buttoned straps to hold the cushions in place when we're driving, after which this is the entirety of what was left from that pair of charity shop curtains:


I think we can say we got our money's worth from our £6 curtains!

Lots of other bits and pieces have been finished too. The toilet mount was built, and various bits of wood cut and secured to make various unfinished bits look prettier. We even put up a bit of wallpaper, in the shape of an OS map on the visible section of the back of the kitchen cabinet. 

Where does all that leave us? With a campervan that's fit and ready for use, albeit currently lacking in flooring and curtains. 

How chuffed are we with how she's looking? Mightily!

You can see the almost-final bit of her transformation from patient transfer vehicle to campervan by clicking on the thumbnail below:

 


Don't know if it's the same for every browser, but I only see part of the full YouTube thumbnail here, which rather ruins the before/after view that took me so long to assemble into a YouTube-suitable thumbnail!

(By way of a small aside: these videos have, until now, taken between 2 and 3 hours to upload to YouTube and we had to refrain from doing anything else on the internet whilst they were in progress. Yesterday we changed our internet provider and upgraded to fibre. This video took less than 10 minutes to upload. What timing, now that I'm all but finished with this video-making malarkey!)


2 comments:

  1. I am hugely impressed. I look forward to you getting out now. I would be very interested to see the results in real life if you get to passing anywhere near my domain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will most certainly be in touch if we're up in your neck of the woods.

      I've been plotting some hills this afternoon with the intention to take Erica on her first overnight trip as soon as amenable weather coincides with us having no commitments. Must get on and get her curtains made in readiness!

      Delete