Monday 21 December 2020

Winter Virtual Ultra - Day 11

Today's run was over two minutes per mile faster than my average pace for the first 88 miles of this challenge. The joy of having such a short distance to cover, and a rest scheduled for tomorrow! Mick joined me for the mile and a half around the block, although I stopped my watch at about the point where I crossed the virtual finish line. My certificate thus only has an extra 100m recorded on it:

At the end, I asked Mick to snap my official finish photo, and he suggested I should do one of those jumping photos. He had me jump in the air three times, took three snaps and put his phone away. Only when I asked to see the photos when we got home did he say that he hadn't actually looked at what he'd snapped. This was the result (Mick claims the one on the right isn't as hilarious as I find it):

Sack the photographer!

Back at home it was coffee time, coupled with the treat of a pastry, both of which were enjoyed whilst wearing my well-earned medal*...

...and my pyjama trousers, which may not have been reasonable given the time of day.

(*It may have been well-earned, but I'd always prefer to have the option of not receiving a medal. I neither want nor need one, acknowledging that it is now going to get put in a drawer for a number of years until I throw it away. Moreover, as this event (in common with the summer one) was a charitable fundraiser,  the cost of buying and posting the medal could have gone towards the charity. That's my only gripe about this event, which has otherwise been an excellent challenge, and (almost entirely) good fun.)

4 comments:

  1. Well done. You will now be able to re-fuel over the seasonal period, but knowing you I can see you off again very shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently resisting entering the Virtual Spine Race which takes place in January (in place of the real thing), but I fear that even if running 268 miles within a month was something I could achieve, it probably wouldn't be sensible without risking injury.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Humphrey, you are fantastic! I have no idea how you do something like that, but it didn't half make us giggle. Thank you.

      Delete