Tuesday 15 December 2020

Winter Virtual Ultra (Days 0 - 2)

It was Thursday 10 December and it was time to embark on the folly of running half way across Lapland (virtually; in reality running 89 miles anywhere of my choosing). Here’s how it’s been going so far:

Thursday 10th December; Day 0/12; 7.1/89 miles complete

Setting off with Mick, I had company for the first 15 minutes before he pulled steadily ahead, whilst I concentrated on plodding. Given my current lack of fitness and endurance, my speed aspirations for this endeavour are tempered from what I achieved in July’s event.

As I joined the canal I was surprised to see that Mick had also gone that way, although he left at the first opportunity whilst I foolhardily continued on another couple of miles before peeling off homewards. We agreed later that the tow-path is currently too muddy for running. There were places where I had to slow to a careful walk for fear of slipping into the cut.

Mentally I prefer running first thing in the morning, but I needed to start in the afternoon of Day 0 and finish in the morning of Day 12 in order to complete within 12 days, so this run was timed to finish just before dark. Fortunately I find it physically easier to run in the afternoon (lower heart rate), so this first outing was pleasantly untaxing, but how would I feel on the morrow?

Friday 11 December; Day 1/12; 14.3/89 miles complete (7.2 today)

It had rained a lot in between the previous run and this one, yet when I got to the point where I had to choose the tow-path or road, I (ridiculously!) opted for the former. Almost immediately I acknowledged my error and I should have turned back. It was a hideous mile of slip-sliding around before I left at the first bridge and did a little out-and-back along a lane to make up the distance.

It was another afternoon run and another good one, although was that a bit too much tightness I was feeling in my right calf?

(Slight aside: Within a mile it had become apparent that I was overdressed. The problem was that my long-sleeved layer (the only item I could tie around my waist) was under my t-shirt, so I had to strip off down to my bra to remove it. I managed that without anyone seeing me, but then I rounded a corner and realised I’d only been too hot because until that point I’d been in the sun with the wind behind me. I didn’t have the opportunity to re-layer, so it was a chilly time the rest of the way.)

Saturday 12 December; Day 2/12 Run 1; 18.6/89 miles complete (4.3 this morning)

Mick and I have both long agreed that the third day of any long walk is the hardest. It’s the point where your body is wondering what you think you’re playing at, before, on day 4, deciding that protestation is fruitless and it may as well just get on with it. It seems that the same may apply to long runs (although I don’t remember that being the case in July). My right calf was tight, my limbs were heavy, my mind was protesting and I was in danger of convincing myself that I *couldn’t* do this.

My solution was to split the day’s miles into two, covering over half in the morning, then heading out again just before dusk.

Saturday 12 December; Day 2/12 Run 2 –21.7/89 miles completed (3.1 this afternoon)

This tightness in my calf had me declaring defeat on my intention to run every mile of this event* and conceding that I was going to have to walk this one. Even so, I put on running gear (my warmest running gear) just in case I felt like I could trot a bit of it.

I ran all of it, my calf felt fine and my positivity climbed a little.

 

Heading back homewards just as the sun dipped over the horizon

 

To be continued...

 

(*Other than completing within the 12-day window, there’s no other time requirements, so I could have walked the whole thing, but that wouldn’t have been a challenge. I know that I can walk 7 miles a day. The whole point of entering was to run it.)

 

2 comments:

  1. Keep it going. Better to run on the slip-slidy rather than pounding away on tarmac, that I say in consideration of knees. By the time you realise they are suffering it is too late, so preserve them as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reckon the mud (particularly in its current state) is more hazardous than pounding on tarmac, given the potential for slipping, twisting, wrenching and tearing. That said, I do regularly use some limited mud-season off-road options, some of which will appear in my next post.

      Delete