Sunday 14 March 2021

An Anniversary

A year ago today (14 March 2020), I stepped out of Bertie's door just across the road from the beach at Castellón and set out for a run with every expectation that when I returned, and after we'd had breakfast, we would tootle up the coast to Peñiscola and book into a campsite. We had decided that a campsite would be a good place to be whilst we observed what the next development would be with this virus that was sweeping across the world.

Things developed in Spain with remarkable rapidity, and by the time we pulled out of Bertie's parking spot after breakfast it wasn't towards Peñiscola that we headed, but to the UK. As we drove across Spain the country announced a strict lockdown. We reached France that day and by the time we boarded our Eurotunnel shuttle on the Tuesday morning, the start of their own lockdown was a couple of hours away. We arrived home later that same day. 

Twelve whole months have now passed. The weeks within those months have generally gone fast, yet some of the days have passed excruciatingly slowly. I think we can safely say that few people foresaw how these twelve months would look.

Bertie is, of course, still sitting patiently waiting to take us somewhere on an adventure, as is Erica. Hopefully it's not going to be too long now before one of them gets their wish. 

 

 



4 comments:

  1. I reckon I can be pretty patient and I have no problem with my own company but I think that patience is now dwindling. Sounds like you are on a similar wavelength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am more than ready to be able to go somewhere. My sights are not set high: as much as I'd love to be abroad, I acknowledge that isn't going to be feasible for a good while yet and would be happy just to go somewhere relatively local for a morning on trails that are not accessible from the front door.

      Delete
  2. Hopefully we'll be allowed out a bit more soon. I'd better get (more) scanning done while I have the chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed! I've pencilled us in for a trip to Cannock Chase on 30 March, all being well.

      Delete