Sunday 7 March 2021

Snippets from February - Part 2

Here we go with the occurrences of the second half of February, most of which were entirely mundane and feature much repetition from my last three posts, although (as I alluded to in my last post) there was a novel occurrence on 26 February.

16 February

The water in the ponds had continued to rise, whilst it was falling everywhere else locally. On 4 February it had been lapping the very front of the litter bin. Twelve days later the bin was in the water. It wasn't done with rising yet either.

17 February

Just another local view. I think I took this one not just because of the blue in the sky, but to show how the field was greening up again for the new season.

21 February

Gosh, four days without a photo. That's unusual! On this day we were up with Ma-in-Law again and grabbed the rare lawful/Government-approved opportunity to get some ascent and descent into our lives, by conducting a 12-mile circuit around Oxenhope and Ovenden Moors. At the top of the moor, on a road that exhibited the worse display of fly-tipping and general littering that I've seen since we walked through Kent in 2010 (and possibly even worse than we encountered then), we suffered a biting wind, but otherwise the weather was overcast but benign.

23 February

The water level in the local pond peaked. Remember back in early January when the water was well behind the post that holds two signs (one half way up its shaft, one at the top)? Now the lower sign on that post was almost completely covered and the water had encroached on the car park (which has been closed ever since). I've seen the water covering the path before, but never high enough to reach the car park. Definitely a wet start to the year!

25 February

A dental appointment in the morning (attempt 2 at the filling I'd had replaced the previous week but had broken again within hours) caused me to have a late run that day. I recall some prolonged dithering over where to go, so as to avoid the people who would be out and about in the more popular places on a lovely sunny afternoon. Apparently I opted for a circuit involving a track and the canal, with an out-and-back down a tiny dead-end lane that doesn't see much traffic.


26 February

On my way between dentist and car the previous day, I'd popped into Wilko to pick up a couple of things. Whilst there I got sidetracked by hair dye. Last spring I'd said that if there was ever a time to dye my hair blue, then lockdown was it. With lockdown now threatening to come to a final end, it was time to bite the bullet. Arriving home with the box of dye, Mick expressed surprise and didn't seem to be entirely on-board with my proposed change of appearance. Nevertheless, he gamely helped me with the dying process and was undoubtedly happy with the end result:


During


After

What a disappointment! Not even a hint of granny's blue rinse, never mind the vibrant blue that was promised on the box. This is not the end of this story, but Phase 2 of Project Go Blue didn't occur until the calendar rolled over to March.

27 February

A frosty and misty start to my run, accompanied by Mick until the second bridge on the canal, whereupon he peeled off homewards and I continued on. The mist slowly burnt off, leaving me with a gorgeous (if still cold) day. 

28 February

Another Sunday, another walk with Mick, this time a 7.5-mile circuit that I only did once (didn't want to overdo it after my 15-mile run the day before), but Mick did twice, nipping home with me between laps, where he stood on the door mat to slam down a sandwich and a glass of water before heading off again.



5 comments:

  1. Very good, Gayle, though I'm not sure about the blue hair. What software produces those combined images?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I create the collage pictures via an App on my phone, called Collage Maker. It's not without a few frustrations and there are likely better Apps out there, but having chosen this one somewhat at random, I've stuck with it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I have a sense of deja vu - I'll probably ask the same question in a few weeks' time!

      Delete
  2. "Mick...didn't seem to be entirely on board." What a wonderful bit of understatement. I had a right little chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He hasn't been entirely complimentary about the end result either, although that I can understand. Photos to follow soon.

      Delete