Saturday 17 April 2021

Snippets from April - Part 1

1 April

I discern from this first snap that: 1) we ran a route around the estate; 2) it was a cool morning; and 3) I was really getting in need of a haircut.

Mudfest hill wasn't muddy...

...lulling us into a false sense of security for taking a route through the woods:

2 April

I had my first Covid jab! Mick had his first dose back in February but I'd not expected to be invited for another month yet. However, on the Thursday afternoon I received a text message from the doctors' surgery and on this Friday morning I had the jab. I attended the vaccination centre in town, which was being run with incredible efficiency - unlike Mick's experience at the local doctors'. 

3 April

When we'd run on Cannock Chase on 30 March I'd said that we would go back on the Saturday (3 April) for our long run. What I'd failed to realise until later in the week was that it was Easter weekend. We thus started early to avoid the crowds. A couple of hours in we had our major snack of the outing - the final piece of Flapjack made by my friend Maike. Excellent running fuel:

By the time we reached the parking around the visitor centre at around 0930, we couldn't believe how busy it already was. People soon dispersed as they left the honeypot, and it wasn't so busy as to mar our enjoyment of a route (19km) that we haven't done in years.

6 April

For 24 hours after my vaccination on Friday I had a sore arm that refused to be lifted above shoulder height, but otherwise I felt fine. On the Sunday afternoon I felt under the weather, but on Monday had rallied and had no problem with a 13km run. On the Tuesday (6 April) I was down for hill reps and set out with good intentions, but found myself completely devoid of energy. I slowly hauled my body around the circuit, but the uphill reps were done at a walk (the downhill reps I ran fast; to me the downs are more important than the ups). It was a lovely morning for it...

...then a couple of hours later it started to snow, which continued off and on for the rest of the day.

7 April

Every year Bertie needs a damp test to be carried out by a Hymer dealer, so as to keep his water ingress warranty valid. We usually have that (as well as his engine service) carried out in Belgium, but clearly that wasn't an option this year. In Belgium this 1-hour effort costs €70. We booked him in at a local UK dealer, who quoted us the price of £450. We ummed and arred as to whether it was worth the expenditure, or whether we should just take the risk of letting the warranty lapse. Then, by chance, we found out that the price quoted included a full habitation check, which we were happy to forego, and after several emails and phone calls to the dealer, we eventually got the price down to £220. Still painful, but clearly a huge improvement on the initial quote. 

We'd had the appointment booked since January, yet it was a couple of days beforehand when we received a call to say that they needed Bertie for 3 days. To do an hour's work. All due to Covid protocols apparently. 

The plus side was that the route between home and the dealer took us across Cannock Chase, so on the way home we stopped off for another turn around the trails:

See the ripples in the water? That's where Mick had just dipped his foot in. He'd lost his balance when he expected one of the stepping stones, which had previously been unstable, to wobble and was taken by surprise when it held still.

Later in the day I gave myself a haircut, but Mick vetoed my attempt at a mohawk:

9 April

Another run around Cannock Chase on our way to pick up Bertie (4th time in 10 days; feasting on beauty after months of from-the-front-door 'famine') . It rained on us almost constantly, so I took no photos.

Then to the Hymer dealer we went, arriving promptly for our collection time (Coronavirus protocols = by appointment only). Mick presented himself at the agreed time and then stood out in the pouring rain for about a quarter of an hour, as it turned out that only the chap who had arranged the appointment could deal with Mick (deal with = take payment and hand over keys) and he had carelessly double booked himself onto a training course at the same time as Mick's appointment. Mick was finally admitted to wait another age inside. Eventually he emerged without a single word of apology having been uttered. I don't think we'll be using that dealer's services again if we can help it! 

10 April

Off up to Halifax we headed, for Ma-in-Law's 96th birthday. On the way we stopped off to drop in a card and present to Maike who shares the birthday, although not the grand age. We enjoyed the best part of an hour sitting in her garden, enjoying a slice of her magnificent birthday cake:

As we left we all agreed what good weather it was for sitting out. Five minutes later we were driving through a flurry of snow. Snow showers became a theme of the afternoon in Halifax:

11 April

It snowed some more overnight, but it soon thawed in the sunshine:

12 April

The next two days deserve a post of their own, as they will involve that long-missed question of 'Where's Erica'.  

2 comments:

  1. Looking at that rather delicious birthday cake, I'd like you to introduce me to Maike....as a matter of urgency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooooo chocolatey. Impressive indeed.

      Delete