Thursday 6 May 2021

Thursday 6 May - Coniston

Where's Bertie? It's his final night at Coniston Park Coppice.
Weather: Gloriously sunny start, but it was short-lived and by half past nine a day of showers had commenced.

That was a day that didn't go to plan, but first let me grumble about the weather forecast. A while ago I started using the BBC Weather App as my first port of call, having previously used the Met Office. I had become fed up of looking at the forecast at five minute intervals and finding it had changed completely. It became a bit of a sport to see how many different forecasts I could get for the same location in the space of an hour.

The BBC App had thus far seemed more consistent, and for the last few days it has told me that this morning would be sunny. I checked it again when I got up this morning and it still said that. I put my phone down and Mick asked what the temperature was like and, as I'd failed to register that information, I picked my phone back up and checked, only to find that we now weren't due a sunny morning, but we were soon to start getting showers, followed by a 90% chance of heavy rain from 11am. Harrumph!

We hurried to get ourselves ready to go out, with the plan (already revised, based on Mick's knee) being a 15km circular walk with the furthest point being Tarn Hows.

Light rain had already started by the time we set out and we cursed again our blinkered approach to this trip. Because we knew we were running on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and resting on Wednesday, we didn't think to bring useful things such as a daypack or walking attire. Clearly, our running gear and packs are useable for both purposes, but things like a bigger daypack, Paramo trousers and our small flask wouldn't have gone amiss. It's not even that we can claim a lack of space, as being in Bertie for such a short trip, we could have thrown in a spare kitchen sink and not troubled his carrying capacity. Let's hope a lesson has been learnt there.

As for the walk, we'd not even got 50m before I began to suspect that I wasn't going to get far today. Having completed yesterday's run without any problem at all, and gone for a 3-mile walk in the afternoon, again without any hint of an issue, I found this morning that I could barely walk, with my left leg (and to a lesser extent my lower back) suffering pain as my right leg went forward and the left back. Bizarrely, I could still run okay, and walking uphill was fine, but walking on the flat was a pained limp. We made it a mile before I decided that it wasn't going to ease up and, fearing doing more harm than good with my limping gait, we returned to Bertie.

Thus began another quiet day, albeit interspersed with me contorting myself into various stretches on Bertie's floor. We went for another small strollette this afternoon and, promisingly, I could walk almost normally and with much less pain, so hopefully whatever had tied itself in a knot or trapped a nerve, is now resolving itself.

It's really rare for us to book multiple nights at a campsite. Usually, even if we intend to stay for more than one night, we'll extend our stay as we go. Had we worked on our usual basis, I'm sure we would have saved our pennies and gone home today. However, in Covidian times, rather than having to go into the office every day to arrange an extra night, we booked the whole week and paid on arrival, so until tomorrow we will stay.

Oh dear, it is all doom and gloom today, so let's just finish with one more whinge (I promise, I'm not as miserable as I'm coming across in this post; we are having a good time, honest!):


How clear are these signs, displayed on the door to the dishwashing room? Mick and I were in there this afternoon when along came a woman. She looked at the door then, in contravention of the clear instruction and without troubling herself to don a face covering, walked straight in. We pointed out that the room was already in use and she apologised and left. What is it with people?! (Mick said afterwards that he wished he'd greeted her with an exclamation of 'Mother!', on the basis that she must have thought she was a family member.)

No comments:

Post a Comment