Sunday 2 May 2021

Sunday 2 May - Lancaster Services

Where's Bertie? He's at a certified campsite at White Carr Farm, which sits immediately behind Lancaster Services on the M6 northbound. It costs £10 per night, for which we have hard-standing. We could have had electricity for an extra £6.
Weather As I type, sunny with fluffy clouds, but we did have a few showers on our way north.

First, back to last Tuesday when, in the evening after our long run on The Ridgeway, it started to rain. Showers continued into the night, but on Wednesday morning, when I opened Bertie's kitchen blind to the sight of ten pheasants and a muntjac deer, it was dry. Incredibly (well, I found it incredible) my legs felt absolultey fine and fresh, so after a quick breakfast I headed out for a 15km run/walk.

I'd barely been back for ten minutes when the rain started to come down with vigour, but by then it mattered not. We slowly packed away and later in the morning we started wending our way back home.

Bertie may have feared another long lay-up, but hopefully he was reassured by the fact that we didn't fully unpack him, and two days later we started packing him afresh.

Contrary to last Sunday when we were on the road at 8am, today we were in no rush as 'the back of Lancaster Services' didn't sound like a location where we needed to spend a whole day. As it happens, it's not a bad location. The noise of the motorway doesn't seem to be too intrustive, and if you ignore the the mobile phone mast that shares the field and the power cables immediately in front of us, the view is pleasant and green.

The reason we're here is that I wanted to be dropped off at Troutbeck early in the morning for my next recce of the Lakeland 50 route, and therefore wanted to be a good way through the journey tonight. Working outwards from Pooley Bridge along our approach route, this was the first campsite we found that had a pitch available on this Bank Holiday weekend.

I say 'wanted to be dropped off' because I'm currently wavering on whether to run tomorrow or not. I'm torn between thinking that it will be a good test to do the route in bad weather and that it would be nice to wait until later in the week when the forecast is better.

I'll report back tomorrow as to which way I jumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment