Sunday 20 February 2022

Saturday 19 February - Seville

Where's Bertie: He's moved to be nearer to the entrance of the Aire, but otherwise is in the same place.
Weather: Some cloud, but mainly sunny. Twelve degrees first thing, but building into the low twenties by mid-afternoon.

When we arrived here on Thursday, all was quiet at the port. Yesterday there was activity. For most of the day it sounded like the big 'grabber' crane we could see was loading broken crockery into a large metal vessel (actually, it sounded like broken crokery was being rotated very slowly in a massive metal tombola, such was the regularity of the tinkling crashes). Later in the day they must have run out of broken crockery as it sounded more like rubble. The rubble pile must have been big as they went on shifting it the whole way through the night and into today.

I only know that because I woke up a few times and heard it, although it neither woke me nor kept me awake. Mick was chatting to our next door neighbour later in the morning, who, it turned out, had also been in the same car park as us during the brass band/nightclub session in Cadiz on Wednesday night; he commented that the noise here was nothing compared to that.

They were still working on shifting the rubble when we headed out for our morning exercise. I had a long run on the agenda, whereas Mick had his final little leg-stretch of his pre-marathon taper period. He thus joined me for the first 1.5km of my outing, at which point I shooed him back to Bertie and continued on to join the riverside path.

Goodness, it was busy with runners! It felt like I'd accidentally got caught up in a race, but hadn't got the memo about the distance.

Busy riverside!

Busy on the river too with all sorts of (mainly human-powered) craft

Apparently I also hadn't got the memo about the route, as once I reached the north side of the city, I suddenly found myself on my own again.


I also found a truly impressive sculpture (probably sculpture of the trip, never mind of the day). Hopefully the trees and lamp posts give a sense of scale.

I was feeling fatigued well before I got back to Bertie (after 24km), but then I suppose I have done quite a lot this last week (particularly with the 20km bike ride added to my scheduled activities). Given Mick's impending marathon, and my fatigue, I think it's excusable that we did so little for the rest of the day.

We moved Bertie to be nearer to the entrance (and further from the port activities), I went and sampled the showers that we belatedly discovered they have here (short shower as it was powerful but on the cool side of tepid; noon probably isn't the best time to get hot water), and we took a little wander to the nearest shop for some bread.

I'll finish with a few snaps of the motorhome parking here, but first I'll mention the approach. We've parked in some decidedly unattractive places, but the approach to this parking area looks so waste-landy and full of rubbish, that it was off-putting to the point that we questioned whether we wanted to stay here. Then we reached this secure compound which is manned and gated 24 hours per day.

It's some sort of vehicle handling place:

Some of the vehicles are new, some not new, and plenty of fleet vans too

On Thursday and Friday there were transporters coming and going

They've allocated a section of their massive yard to motorhomes. On a quick tot-up there must be 100 here tonight, making a secure yard feel even more secure. 

The other advantage of having moved is that it's given us a river view. Admittedly it's a world away from the best watery views we've ever had.

It's just a pity that the place isn't a little closer to the city - and that you have to walk a kilometre of skanky approach road to get to a proper road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment