Wednesday 23 February 2022

Wednesday 23 February - San Juan de los Terreros

Where's Bertie? He's still on the bit of wasteland at San Juan de los Terreros.
Weather: Lightly overcast, with the lack of sun making it feel much cooler (a long trousers day for me).

I had a semi-excellent run this morning. My fastest 5km since the incident with my foot at Halloween. It wasn't completely excellent as I finished with a bit of a sore calf. Not sure that doing hilly trails on a Tuesday and efforts on a Wednesday is working entirely well for me!


Fountain of the day, snapped mid-run

I was nearly back at Bertie (at a walk, because bad planning had my 5km finish a good 1km away, and with the sore calf, walking seemed like the sensible return method) when I saw a bread van pulling out of the adjacent bit of wasteland. I was just about to send a quick text to Mick to warn him to get out of bed ready to buy, when the van turned in the opposite direction. It turned out the van had visited our area first, and Mick had got out of bed in time. The resulting chocolatines were enormous. We went sharsies, saving the second one for tomorrow.

Chocolatine on steroids? 

Food featured again a while later when we met up with Simon & Debbie to have a second bash at lunch at the restaurant 100m away from Bertie. I'm glad we only ordered starters!

Lunch.

Late this afternoon, into this evening, as I type this, we have a game of petanque going on outside of Bertie. This is pleasing! I mentioned a while ago that Germans are the dominant nationality of motorhomes in Spain this year, rather than French. Whereas previously the clank of boules has been a common occurrence wherever we've been parked, this is only the second time on this trip when we've seen a match in progress.

The players are housed in 3 vans who arrived in convoy earlier and snuggled themselves up (not indecently close) to Bertie. Mick was a little indignant when they first arrived, as the woman directing the drivers into position placed one of the vans behind us such that it would have been difficult for us to leave. Fortunately the driver (after a period of gesticulation that made the content of the discussion clear) pointed out the problem with where she had put him and corrected the error.

Within minutes of arrival they had two tables (with tablecloths) out for a communal lunch, and now they are continuing the stereotypical Frenchness with the petanque. Mick is rather enjoying spectating from the comfort of Bertie's lounge. They're all now wrapped up warm, but with the light fading out of the day, I don't think they'll be playing much longer.


Sugar sachets, pandemic edition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment