Friday 4 March 2022

Friday 4 March - Bétera

Where's Bertie? He's still at Valencia Camper Park just SE of Bétera.
Weather: Not a drop of rain all day. Some sunshine.

I don't know at what time the rain stopped last night, but it wasn't raining when we awoke this morning. The ground was, however, covered in sizeable puddles.

By the time we headed out for a little joggette (Mick's first run post-marathon), there were hints of blue in the sky. The day turned out to be so nice, that at lunchtime I used the facilities at the campsite to rise through a few items of clothing and successfully got them dry in the afternoon's sunshine. Harrumph! There was no reason for us to sit the day out on a campsite after all. The forecast is now for rain all day on Sunday, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Running through orange plantations

We eventually found a way to get to the other side of the railway line

Trees of unharvested persimmon fruit, all left to rot.

As we were spending the rest of the day sitting around, I spent what felt like hours this afternoon (it probably was hours?) staring at maps and thinking about where we might go for our last 10 days before we need to head home. I came up with far too long a list of inland places that all looked too good to miss, then, having checked out distances and routes, I looked at the weather forecast for some of those places. And that's where the problem lies. I'd like to go inland, into the hills, where interesting villages lie and where the landscape is fabulous, but I also want the best weather, and that's to be found on the coast. The nail in the coffin was the forecast of a daytime high of 8 and overnight low of -1 for one of the towns (admittedly it is up at over 1000m).

So, an interesting, if lengthy, exercise in seeing where we might want to go if we were to come to Spain slightly later in the year next time.

For this year, we will stay nearer to the coast. I was all mapped-out by the time we had reached this conclusion (not to mention that my phone was about to die from exhaustion), so I'm none the wiser as to where we're going tomorrow or the subsequent 10 days before we cross the border back into France.

(*Slight aside as to water: the laundry I did earlier, with perfumed laundry detergent, and that has blown outside in the breeze all afternoon, smells only of swimming pool. This makes me glad that we made the effort to get some palatable tap water yesterday. On the plus side, Bertie's water tanks and pipes should be really clean after this trip.)

2 comments:

  1. You probably have decided to avoid a big city like Barcelona because of the parking problem; but pls consider a visit to:
    Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya - MNAC.
    It is a wonderful collection. I specially enjoyed the early medieval wall paintings, rescued from churches in the Pyrenees, and also the Civil War posters.
    I'm also putting Sagrada Familia on my list for this year, as I've never seen it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our last trip in our previous van (Colin), at the end of 2016, included 3 nights at a convenient (if slightly eye-wateringly expensive) Aire in Barcelona. We spent the final two half days of our visit in the MNAC.

      The first thing we did in the city was the Sagrada Familia, which was well worth while, both touring the building and the associated museum.

      Delete