Thursday 10 March 2022

Thursday 10 March - Peñíscola

Where's Bertie? He's still in the Aire at Peñíscola.
Weather: Sunny morning, clouding to sunny intervals from mid-afternoon. Warmer than yesterday but also breezy this afternoon.

This morning a run along the seafront promenade, this afternoon a walk into town to get some cash and for a general mooch (which unfortunately didn't involve a cake shop, simply because we didn't find one). The first bank's (Caixa) cash points were out of order. The second (Santander) wanted €7 for the withdrawal. We probably could have found a cheaper bank had we tried some others (these are fees levied by the cashpoint providers, not by our card issuer), but as we get cash out of the bank infrequently*, we're not paying out charges on a regular basis, so we took the easy option of going ahead with the transaction.

With nowt else to say about today, I'm going to just say a few words about the section of the day that almost never gets a mention in my blog posts: the evenings. After I've written my blog (which I generally do before tea), we have tea, wash up, do our Duolingo Spanish lessons, then at around 8pm we usually settle down to watch a TV programme for an hour before bed. These are all things that I downloaded onto our tablet before we came away. I seldom sit and watch TV without some yarn in my hands, and on this trip I've been continuing to work on a blanket that I started some time last year.



Before we came away, I laid out all of the pieces on our living room floor (see above), thinking that I only had six octogons left to make, only to find that I'd erroneously ticked off 9 triangles as complete when they weren't (3 individuals and a set of 6). I got the individual ones made before we came away, but decided to move onto the octogons during this trip. Last night I finished the final one:

With nothing to give scale, I'll tell you that these are 22cm from tip to tip, so they're not small pieces.

I thought that now I could dig out the knitting needles and move onto something less involved (colour work in crochet is slow going!), as I didn't think that I'd brought with me the pattern and colours for the missing 6 triangles. Turns out I thought wrong, so let's see if I can churn out these final six triangles before we get home.

(*In the course of the last 2 years in the UK I have spent cash on less than half a dozen occasions (I think it's four, but I may have forgotten a couple). If the next time I have to get cash out is in 2 years, then the charge won't seem such bad value!
*Old series of Silent Witness have featured on this trip. During 2020/21 we worked our way through a number of BBC series that had passed us by when originally aired, some originating in the 1990s. We've thus far made it to Series 8 of Silent Witness. The thing about focussing on one programme at a time is that you come to notice that they only have a handful of essential story lines that get endlessly recreated. Death in Paradise is an excellent example (although, somehow, makes it even more fun to watch).

No comments:

Post a Comment