Saturday 22 October 2022

Friday 21 October - Kelmis

Where's Bertie? He's still in the Aire at Kelmis.
Weather: Rain in the morning, with a bit of thunder, clearing to a sunny afternoon.

We did nothing today (more about which in the footnote - a tale probably not of much interest to anyone but my future self), as a result of which we decided that rather than going to Maastricht per plan, we may as well stay in Kelmis.

(*In September 2014, whilst walking the Wales Coast Path, I developed a sore knee. That knee hurt every day, particularly going up hill/stairs for the next seven months, and at times even the pressure of the lightest trousers on my kneecap was sore. It didn't seem to get any worse as a result of exercise, so in March 2015 I set out on another jaunt on the Welsh Coast. I think it was the day I walked into Port Talbot that I cut across a playing field, but found my way out on the other side blocked by a locked five-bar gate. Of course, I hopped over it, but I landed badly on my poorly knee. For the rest of that day, my knee was *really* painful and when I met Mick at the end of the day, I told him that I thought we'd be heading home the following morning. I also finally phoned the doctor's surgery to make an appointment. The next morning I got up and headed back out onto the coast path, thinking that I'd walk a mile or so and see how bad the pain was before calling the rest of the trip off. What do you know? The pain had completely gone. Whether it was the bad landing from the gate that finally jolted something out of the way/back into place, or the fact that after seven months I had finally made an appointment with the doctor, I know not. I didn't feel that pain again, not even once, until last Sunday afternoon.

My knee had been fine during my 'Fruit Route' run in Leichlingen, but sometime later in the day (I think; it may have been on Monday morning), it became sore again in the exact same way as in 2014. On Tuesday Mick and I ran together and it was fine; on Wednesday I did hill reps and it was fine; yesterday we did the 'Three Countries' route and it was very much not fine, with the soreness starting after the first significant downhill and lasting the rest of the day.

It was still sore when I got up this morning, and wanting to give it every chance to improve before tomorrow's parkrun, I declared that I was going to do absolutely nothing today, other than sit and ice it on a regular basis. There was no point in moving to Maastricht if I wasn't going to be able to walk around and see the place, hence in Kelmis we stayed. The 'doing nothing' resolve lasted until late afternoon when I decided that the potential harm I was doing to myself of sitting still for so long was greater than the risk to my knee of a gentle walk around the park, but that is all I did all day (other than reading, knitting, etc.))

1 comment:

  1. Join the club. See my latest post: "Thanks to NHS and Bad News for Cats."

    ReplyDelete