Saturday 11 March 2023

Saturday 11 March - Jerez de los Caballeros

Where's Bertie? He's still in the Aire at Jerez de los Caballeros.
Weather: Murky start, but with the sun soon burning through, although it then turned overcast and we didn't see much sun until this afternoon.

Opening Bertie's door to go out this morning, and finding that we were enveloped in cloud nearly caused us to delay our outing. But we were ready to go, and leaving just then would time nicely our arrival in Valle de Santa Ana for second breakfast, so we donned windshirts against the mizzly air and hoped the sun would soon win through. Within ten minutes the murk had cleared and windshirts were removed.

The profile of this outing was friendlier than others we've done of late. We've had a habit of starting high, dropping down then having to regain the height at the end. At least we didn't quite start this one at the highest point!

At the top of the first significant climb (to 550m) the last remnants of low cloud were just brushing the tops across the valley.

Typical grazing land hereabouts. It's very green at the moment.

Unusual to get an action shot with me in it!

Conveniently, the village of Valle de Santa Ana sat about half way through the 21km route, and even more conveniently there was a bar only about twenty paces from the route.

Delayed recollection to take a snap = part consumed breakfast.

This place had a detailed breakfast menu of which I should have taken a photo. Essentially it comprised coffee and toast, with a couple of variations of the former, and about 15 toppings for the latter. For no good reason, lately I started having jam on my toast, rather than my usual tomato (as had by most locals), and jam always seems to come with butter. Now, I don't mind buttered toast and I like jam on toast, but to me the two do not go together, but I'm happy to just leave the butter and only use the jam. Today, however, the butter wasn't little pats on the plate, nor was it not-really-butter in a big tub on the bar for you to help yourself. Instead, our toast arrived slathered in half an inch of that's-not-butter. I ate it (jamlessly), but it's maybe pushed me to go back to tomato as my topping of choice next time.

Another action shot from the way back

Route outline and stats

The route we were following finished in the middle of Jerez, from where we had to find our way back to Bertie. By then people were out in force and we undoubtedly looked out of place as we trotted through the narrow streets.

We probably should have gone out for a bit of a leg-stretch later in the afternoon, but after I knocked up a seafood paella for lunch (i.e. opened a bag of frozen paella and heated it - it was surprisingly good!) we got busy with indoor things, had a video call, then teatime was upon us.

As I type this, just as the light is fading out of the day, I know that just behind me in Bertie's vast kitchen almost every inch of worksurface is covered with stuff, so a bit of tidying and some chores are in order before we settle down for what little will then remain of the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment