Friday 13 July 2018

Friday 13 July - by Immendingen

Where's Bertie? He's still in the same car park as last night.
Weather: Lots of sunshine and quite warm.

There's an information panel that sits in between the car park and the cafe/play park/bivouac site, that describes a 13km walking circuit and we thought we could do worse today than following it.

As well as wiggling through the forest a lot, it visits three points of interest, the first of which is a disused quarry (quarried for the basalt between the start of the 20th century and 1979)...

...where we paused for elevenses:

The picnic tables are substantial structures around here. When we looked closely at the surrounding ground we realised that it sits amid a sea of discarded cigarette ends.

The picnic tables and benches then came thick and fast, often at viewpoints, until we came to the second point of interest - which wasn't actually interesting at all. It was a sink hole, but not a very big one, and so covered in undergrowth that it was nothing remarkable. We would have strode straight past if it hadn't been for the information sign there.

Much more wiggling through the forest ensued, whilst Mick recapped what has been going on in Game of Thrones*, which brought us to the final point of interest: the Donausinkungstelle, but, of course, we already saw that yesterday.

As I sit here and type this, the car park is full and overflowing. It was over half full when we arrived yesterday too, so it's definitely a popular place. It was, therefore, surprising that until we got back to within 1km of Bertie, we saw only two other people during the entire walk. Within the final 0.5km we saw at least a couple of dozen.

It wasn't an overly energetic outing (13km, 300m ascent), but I've used it as an excuse to spend the rest of the afternoon sitting down. As well as the usual daily afternoon activities (eating melon, doing the crossword, reading), the heel in my final ankle sock (the fourth from this ball of yarn) has been turned, ripped back and turned again, but I've still not managed an exact pattern match on this one. Hopefully, if I find myself shoeless whilst wearing them, people won't be inspecting my feet too closely, as it's not a big enough deal for me to rip back and try again.

(*Mick has long been a fan of Game of Thrones, having read the books before the TV series started. It's not my cup of tea at all, but as he was watching Series 7 during our trip in March, I started getting interested in a couple of the characters, so having vaguely watched Series 7, I've now started right at the beginning and we're now half way through Series 3. However, it being not really my cup of tea (that and the fact that I'm always doing something with yarn at the same time), I don't always grasp what is going on. Quite how Mick remembers so many details, I have no idea. When I read a book, even if I really enjoy it, the detail usually drops out of my head the instant I finish it, and I'm not much better with films.)

No comments:

Post a Comment