Sunday 15 July 2018

Sunday 15 July - Tuttlingen

Where's Bertie? He's still at the Stellplatz at Tuttlingen.
Weather: Mainly overcast, but some clear-skied periods. A couple of short showers.

I was miffed this morning. My decision, last thing last night, to get up early, after not enough sleep, and run today was based on the weather forecast (dry today, wet tomorrow). I was just ready to go out when the sound of drumming was heard on Bertie's roof. Harrumph!

It turned out that we only caught the edge of the shower. It was dry within minutes of me setting out, and even though I could see rain falling over the high ground to the one side of the valley, it didn't catch me again.

Some doctorish/healthish TV programme I watched a few years ago mentioned a study that had been carried out that showed that people who go to the gym for an hour on a weekend morning can often be less active, and eat more, than those who don't. Their thinking (conscious or otherwise) is "I've done my exercise, I can be lazy for the rest of the day now". That pretty well describes me today, as I used my 8-mile run to justify doing almost nothing for much of the rest of the day.

Which isn't to say I stared vacantly out of the window. In fact, I could call the period I spent looking at maps and thinking about where we go next, productive.

On the one hand, I'd quite like to head south from here and spend a while amidst striking mountains. But, on the other hand, it feels like we've just timed it wrong to do that, having hit peak holiday season when the campsites will be expensive and the motorhome Stellplätze crammed. The parking options also become seriously reduced as the scenery becomes more striking, as the more touristy areas tend to ban motorhome parking in most of their car parks. Plus, as much as I love the mountains, my focus is on running just at the moment, and I do prefer to do that somewhere reasonably flat.

So, we're not heading south. Instead we will continue to follow the Danube for a while, which will take us NE.

Eventually the sitting around, looking at maps and parking databases, and reading my book got too much, so after lunch a strollette was had. With impeccable timing, it started raining as we stepped out of the door. That shower didn't amount to much either, although as I type this I can see patches of sky that look very dark and threatening.

(Bit of an interlude there as we've sat watching a family who have been quite clearly searching for a geocache. It took them a good long while to locate it.)

The outdoor TV screen at the other end of the car park is now in action. People wearing Croatian football shirts are around. It must be time for me to gather my knitting and for us to walk back towards the Irish Bar for our final football fix.

Later...

Just a modest amount of food. We had to wait about an hour to be served, so full was the pub that we had to ourselves yesterday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment