Sunday 29 July 2018

Sunday 29 July - Ulm

Where's Bertie? He's still at the Stellplatz in Ulm.
Weather: Sunny and hot.

It seems that every Saturday night we find ourselves in a town, even though we acknowledge that this is far from ideal. Saturday nights are not known for being quiet in such locations. However, even though this Stellplatz is not going to go down as a favourite, it did prove to have another plus point: it was quiet overnight.

Today we explored further its position, and, beyond the litter-strewn gravel of the parking area itself, the parkland that sits between us and the Danube is pleasant, with many features and facilities, as we found when we walked through it on this afternoon's stroll.

Snapped during this afternoon's stroll

The river itself is very nice around here too, as I confirmed when I trotted out for a run first thing this morning. I would say I was in good company at the early hour, but the reality is that whilst I ran out along the south bank, everyone else was running along the north side. I could immediately see why - it was shaded over there - but it was some distance before I was able to switch banks, and the river-control-barrage at which I crossed proved to be the landmark at which most people turn back towards the town. I continued onwards on, loose-surfaced tracks, through woodland and past a lake in which people were swimming. All very lovely.


Snapped during this morning's run

The best move of the day came between those two activities, as the daily van-exodus occurred (it has now been reversed and there are even more here tonight than there were last night) when we moved Bertie three spaces to the left, thus taking him out of direct sunlight and putting him under a tree. As a result, it has barely got over 30 degrees in here today, although it's currently showing no signs of getting below 29. Another sticky night coming up!

And that's it for today. There has been no other activity (although, I think 13.5 miles is activity enough, particularly when 9 of them were taken at a run).


I've not even finished this blanket yet, although it has been in regular use since last winter, so was alarmed this morning to find that it had sprung a hole where I had either forgotten to darn in some ends before snipping them, or had done so badly. Effecting a repair kept me occupied for a wee while and I was pleased with the result (bottom photo). I'm in the process of making another 126 Granny Squares to transform it from a single bed size to a double.

1 comment:

  1. Well well! We drove right past you!
    Our apologies for not stopping - we had an appointment in Heidelberg.

    ReplyDelete