Friday 22 June 2018

Friday 22 June - Stuttgart

Where's Bertie? He's in a small public car park, sitting between the University of Stuttgart and an industrial area (exact location: 48.74914, 9.10729).
Weather: Sunny start, soon clouding over, much cooler than of late.

No run this morning, but I did walk one round of the same circuit that I'd run twice yesterday. It was a lovely morning for it...

...but whereas for the last few days it has been warm enough to be out in a singlet at 7am, this morning I was wearing a fleece and a windshirt over my t-shirt, and I didn't overheat.

Bertie is in this shot, in the location where he spent the last two nights. I'm not sure that the white arrow I've drawn to highlight his location shows much better than Bertie himself.

Yet another supermarket visit preceeded our exit from Güglingen then, having stowed our shopping, we set about deciding where to go today. The contenders were a nice sounding free Stellplatz about an hour away from Stuttgart, a €10 Stellplatz in the car park of the palace at Ludwigsburg about half an hour from Stuttgart, or this car park by the university in Stuttgart. The only reason this one won was because the whole reason for visiting the city was for its ParkRun in the morning, and by staying here tonight we could go and recce the course.

We found the ParkRun location without a problem and as we set out on foot I commented that, as it's a two-lap course, we only needed to walk 1.5 miles today in order to see it all. Mathematically it was a fine theory. What I hadn't bargained on was one bit of the track I'd downloaded from the ParkRun website not tallying with the tracks on the ground. We ended up walking 4.2 miles before we were convinced we had found the right route. We just hope that it is run clockwise, otherwise it may not look very familiar to us in the morning!

The route as downloaded to GoogleMaps from the ParkRun website.

What we walked in trying to make sense of the published route, which, for the second time in two weeks, is definitely wrong. The Strava App came to our aid in resolving the issue.

The car park in which we had left Bertie was full by the time we returned, and we wasted no time in freeing up a space and moving a few km down the road to where we are now sitting. A small public car park, in a sea of other car parks, on the edge of the University and of an industrial area, doesn't sound particularly nice, and in all honesty, we wouldn't have chosen it if it wasn't for wanting to position ourselves for tomorrow morning. However, with plenty of trees around (and a whole forest of paths and tracks just 150m or so away, through which I ventured this afternoon), and with almost no passing traffic, it doesn't seem to be a bad place.

2 comments:

  1. Just to say that, yes you do have readers! I'm so enjoying yr tails/tales. Even the runs... back in the day I'd go for marathons and it's good to follow yr current endeavours. Also the knitting. I knit with circular needles - which makes Fairisle and Icelandic jumpers a snap. Equal tension, and you can see the pattern grow. With circular needles you can create an entire sweater in one - no need to faff around hemming material together. Same goes for socks. And strange little pixie hats. We can have a knitting workshop during Challenge 40, yes? So glad you, Bertie and Mick are having a wonderful time. Keep those posts coming! Yip Yip.
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped running in 2008, in fear of injuring myself before our LEJOG and didn't get back to it until 2016. I could rue the lost time, but in reality the large hiatus has led to a completely different (for the better!) mental attitude and, as a result, more enjoyment and far better peformance.

      As for knitting, I've not used straight needles, other than DPNs for forming my heel flap and turn. All my socks to have been knitted on small circulars and my first jumper was also an all-in-one knitted in the round. My Mother-in-Law, who knitted her whole life until her sight failed her a decade ago, is fascinated with the notion of being able to knit a sweater in one piece - she'd never heard of such a thing.

      Delete