Saturday 30 June 2018

Saturday 30 June - Freiburg

Where's Bertie He's still at the commercial Stellplatz in Freiburg.
Weather: Wall-to-wall sunshine and hot.

It was a late night last night, because it was too hot to close the windows and go to bed any earlier. I did get up briefly at 5.20 this morning, when daylight woke me, but having closed the roof windows and their blinds, the next thing I knew I was being woken by Mick getting out of bed.

"What time is it?" I asked him sleepily.
"7.44" he replied.

I shot out of bed like a scalded cat and impressed myself by, within the space of 20 minutes, getting dressed, packing a bag full of laundry (and remembering the detergent), making a flask, and getting out the door in the direction of a laundrette. Yes, it is only 4 days since we were last in a laundrette, but we were hampered on that occasion by it only having small machines and by not having enough coins for more than one wash. Today, at a third of the price of four days ago, I got everything else washed, giving us a few more weeks before we next need to go through this rigmarole. (Why the early start? Because it's Saturday, and laundrettes aren't usually open on Sundays, which makes Saturdays even busier. As it went, this laundrette was huge, with 32 machines, so there's probably never a need to queue.)

The rest of the day has been fairly quiet. We strolled back into town...

...and had a bit of a wander, although the main purpose was to find some wurst for lunch. We achieved that from stalls in the market outside of the cathedral. Mick had himself a Bratwurst and for me it was a tofu Currywurst, which was surprisingly nice. That was followed up with some wholly unnececssary extra calories:


Returning to Bertie via an enjoyable pause at some street entertainment in the form of a female choir...

...and via the Old Synagogue water feature...

The sign that explains the history says that this is a memorial and should be treated with respect. I'm not sure this is what the planners had in mind.

...the rest of the day has been spent chasing shade around Bertie. I also nipped out this evening for emergency supplies of ice cream.

It's currently 9.10pm and 32 degrees inside Bertie. I was after an early night tonight, but really need that temperature to come down a bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment