Thursday 21 June 2018

Thursday 21 June - Güglingen

Where's Bertie? He's precisely where he was yesterday, at the Stellplatz at Güglingen.
Weather: Gradually clouding over and becoming cooler until late afternoon, when it started clearing again.

We took our stroll around the town late last evening, then returned to Bertie and re-opened all of his windows, plus his door, hoping that his interior might cool down a bit by bedtime. At 10.30pm, when we retired for the night, leaving just two of the skylights open, it was still 27 degrees.

Today was cooler, helped by a strong breeze, although running was still a sticky affair. I seriously considered a swim when I got back, thinking mainly of how long I could justify spending in a mains-fed shower either end of a swim, but in the end I decided that a run, a swim, then a walk might be a bit more activity than was strictly necessary.

So, after a bit of laundry (running gear was getting a bit ripe again...), a spot of breakfast and a modicum of faffing, we set off to walk the 10km circuit I'd downloaded from wikiloc.com yesterday.

That took us through a large variety of fruit and cereal crops (including lots of apples, blackcurrants and huge quantities of grapes), but it was all on tarmac. There was hardly any traffic (off the top of my head, two motorbikes and one tractor passed us), as despite the tarmac, most of these 'roads' were really farm tracks.

That's one serious picnic area! We grabbed the table in the shade for our coffee and cake, and repeatedly had to fish bits of tree/blossom out of our cups.

The elevenses view was mainly over vines

When the route became indirect in its latter stages, we cut short, as we couldn't see that the final distance was going to show us anything we hadn't already seen - plus we were ready for our lunch by then. Having started/ended at Bertie, and with a detour through the town on our way back looking for a milk-selling shop, we still managed to exceed the advertised 10km.

Our expectation, as we sat down for our late lunch, was that, at any moment, the car park would start to fill up around us, exactly as it had yesterday. It didn't, but it wasn't until I went to sit outside an hour or so later that I realised quite how much cooler it had become. Whereas yesterday at 5pm there were around 200 cars here, today there were 8.

The only other news of the day is that I finished my first roll-top trainer sock, which I've been knitting to fill a gap in my packing (or maybe I've just not looked in the right place for the missing pair of ankle socks?). Why go to a shop and buy socks, when you happen to have sock yarn and needles with you?

The second of the pair has now been cast on. I wonder how good a pattern match I will achieve? (note: it is self-patterning yarn, so obtaining a match is 'just' a matter of casting on in the right place and knitting the same number of rows at the same tension.)

No comments:

Post a Comment