Saturday 31 July 2021

Lakeland 50: Part 4 - The Good Things

Whilst the Lakeland 50 didn’t go well for me (as described in Part 3), there was more to the event than covering 50 miles on foot within 24 hours and thus, even with the 10 hours of digestive distress and my dislike of the experience of Fusedale and Haweswater, overall I had a good weekend. Here are some of the highlights:
  • Once past Mardale Head, and the frustrations of the single file, we had a nice walk!
  • Whilst many complained that it was too hot, and I certainly wouldn’t have minded more cloud cover, we were incredibly lucky with the weather, getting the coolest day of a hot week, without any threat of rain and with uncommonly dry underfoot conditions.
  • The benefit of walking 50 miles, rather than running a goodly chunk of it, is that it’s much easier on the body. Whilst I developed a minor niggle in the back of my left knee late on (whilst Mick suffered with a sore lower back), at no point did I feel like my body wasn’t capable of the distance. Indeed, if someone had told me at the finish that I had to go another 10 miles, I don’t think I would have cried. So, we finished in pretty good shape, feeling strong and not feeling like it was going to take long to recover.

Dawn giving hints of breaking at 0425

The moon about to dip out of sight 30 minutes later

  • I’d hoped that we would finish in the early hours of the morning, but in the event we walked straight through the night. That had its own highlights, ranging from the quantity of bats flying around just above our heads as we descended from Garburn (pity there weren’t more to make a dent in the midge population!), to the impressive sight of lines of headtorches. At Troutbeck Post Office we succumbed to a bench for a couple of minutes (it was the first time we’d sat on anything but the ground since we’d started) and it took me a couple of moments to realise that the line of lights I could see coming down the hillside were headtorches, not car headlights. Similarly in Langdale I wondered why all those cars a little ahead and to the left of us were moving so slowly, before again twigging that they were headtorches.

It's worth clicking on this for a larger view of the line of headtoches coming down the hillside opposite

  • As well as meeting new people we got to catch up with a few TGO Challengers. 
  • It was truly inspirational to see how good and strong some of the 100 runners looked (they'd been going for 18 hours longer and had covered 55 more miles than us). A special mention goes to Fiona, who I decided is a machine. She was the only person I struggled to catch as I powered over Gatescarth to find Mick and she later passed us on Garburn. Then there were the three 100 chaps who ran past us in the full dark at 3am on some terrain that I couldn't run even in daylight.
  • It was a fun weekend in general, with a good festival feel in the camping fields at Coniston. There was even live music, albeit we didn’t attend, choosing instead to have a quiet evening in Bertie.
  • The volunteers manning Coniston and all of the Check Points (a whole army of them) are incredible. We didn’t take best advantage of what was on offer at the Check Points, but we still came to appreciate how hard the volunteers were working, putting in a phenomenally long shift to ensure everyone was looked after. I’m sure they all had a significantly more tiring weekend than we did.
  • Finally, a word has to be said about how well organised the event was. There’s clearly a massive amount of organisation that goes into an event on this scale (there were 2250 registered entries across both the 100 and the 50; with pre-event attrition, that translated to almost 1700 starters), and whilst I will never be happy about the wait we had at CP1, in all other respects I couldn’t fault anything I saw or experienced.

Will I do it again?

Never say never, but as much as I can see the positives, and would love to attend again in some capacity, I have to conclude that an event this big (as in number of people, not distance!) is not my cup of tea, and nor is setting out at 11.30am - I'm very much an 'early start' sort of a person. As for Mick, he says he wouldn’t mind having another crack at it. 

 

Refueling. These M&S Lemon Curd Iced Buns were superb!

7 comments:

  1. I wonder what your target time was?

    I too did not run much at all. My plan was to run downhill which I did quite successfully during the recce, but a malfunction hit my right leg during the actual race.

    Although I could power up hill past many others in the latter parts of the race, I was soon overtaken on the next downhill stretch.

    I think more running might have saved me upto an hour ... not the 4 hours I need to catch up the winner in my group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By myself I would have liked to have come in under 15 hours. With Mick I was hoping for 16 hours - not because either of us was after a 100 qualifying time, it just seemed like a reasonable time to aim for.

      I think I can safely say that I will never trouble the leaders in my age category in an event like this!

      Delete
  2. Well done, I've enjoyed that write up. Shame it was so crowded, but perhaps that helped with nighttime navigation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The field did get much more strung out as the hours went on, as you would expect, and there was one period of a few minutes on the climb out of Troutbeck when we couldn't see a single headlight behind or ahead of us.

      As we'd both separately recce'd the route, we had no hesitation with the night navigation, so it was us who, at a few different points, stopped the people in front of us from going the wrong way (almost all of the places we found people either dithering or turning the wrong way were where I also dithered during the recces in daylight - so those excursions back in May were definitely worthwhile).

      Delete
  3. My short write-up is here www.mpaulm.com! Now researching 'what next?'. Looks like there is a more level slightly shorter but still visually stunning run on the Northumberland coast coming up in the new year. Then something in between? Maybe I am crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A little heads-up for Mick if he's interested in the LL50 next year - tomorrow is the day for entering the ballot. I've done a bit of anaylsis now over at mpaulm.com. Not rocket science, but maybe of interest! Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A week or so after I wrote this post, Mick asked me whether I thought he should apply for next year. I unhesitatingly confirmed that he should. After a moment's more thought, I suggested he should put 1 September in his diary to make sure he remembered. "I already have" he said, much to my amusement. So, yes, his entry will be going in tomorrow and we'll be eagerly awaiting Friday's email to confirm whether he's got a place (we've been having lots of discussions about plans for next year, and it'll be good to know one way or the other whether we need to be in the Lakes in July or not).

      Just off to your blog now...

      Delete