Monday 19 August 2024

Sunday 18 August - Trier

Where's Bertie? He has moved by a few hundred metres to a free motorhome/bus car park.
Weather: Overcast but warm. The forecast rain didn't materialise.

When I suggested that we take this little detour to Trier, all of three or four days ago, we looked at the weather forecast and saw that it was predicted to rain the whole time that we were here. We contemplated not coming, as the forecast for the area we were in was better, and we didn't want to come here only to be disinclined to go out due to the weather. And here we are, at the end of the forecast rainy period (we should be back to sunshine tomorrow) and we have only incurred a few minutes of rain, almost none of which happened whilst we were out.

Jumping back to yesterday afternoon and evening, we spent it mainly glued to the screen of the tablet, watching the Eliminator matches of The Hundred Cricket. The women's game wasn't anything particularly memorable, but the men's had a nail-biting finish. Birmingham Phoenix should have won, and I wanted them to win, but they managed to snatch a tie from the jaws of victory, which meant they had to go through the equivalent of a penalty shoot out - a 'Super 5'. The Phoenix lost to the Southern Brave. We've just watched the women's final, and in a few minutes we'll be tuning in (a phrase that doesn't quite work with modern viewing methods!) to watch the men.

There's not much to report about today, although we did start with an exciting development: Mick went for his first tentative run in two and a half months, and he wasn't limping at the end of it.

Whilst he did that, I did multiple trips over to the service point and got Bertie ready so that as soon as Mick was back, we could move. We left within minutes of our 24 hours being up, and moved a whole minute away, to a free car park. We had considered moving here yesterday, after returning from our tour of Trier, but opted to have a nice quiet night in the Stellplatz. Tonight we've opted to save the Stellplatz fee and roll the dice with boy racers. At least we know a quiet place by a swimming pool to which we can escape if need be.

I know I'm jumping around all over the place here, but back to yesterday morning: as we walked across the Römerbrücke we looked north up the river, and I saw a large monument on a hillside. I declared that was where I was going on my run today.


On the left bank of this shot


It took me quite a while to locate it, as I couldn't find it on Google Maps, Gaia Maps, AllTrails nor Wikiloc. Eventually I had a flash of common sense and Googled it. That gave me the name, which in turn allowed me to search for it on Google Maps.

So, with Bertie settled into his new spot (perfectly level too!), off I set.

There wasn't a good vantage point from which to take a clear snap of the 47m high monument.



I wasn't the only person up there.


Back at Bertie I found Mick working, but managed to entice him away with news that there was a bakery a five-minute walk away and we could go out for lunch. Had we not frittered away time having showers, the plan would have worked, but it was 1335 when we arrived and it turned out that I had misread the opening hours. They close at two, and they had already cleared away all bar a couple of baskets of bread from their counter. We turned around and came back to Bertie for lunch.

And now the men's cricket final has started, and I'm off to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment