Wednesday 21 August 2024

Wednesday 21 August - Minheim

Where's Bertie? He's still at the Stellplatz at Minheim.
Weather: Sunny start, clouding to sunny intervals. Much cooler and fresher (just 22 degrees and not so humid today).

One of the reasons we continued along the Mosel, rather than turning south as had been our first thought, was so that Mick had a guaranteed flat location for his second tentative run/walk after his achilles injury (I say 'after', but in reality it's still injured, but improved sufficiently to be loading it again). We set out at the same time this morning, Mick turning left out of Bertie's door to walk the 50m to the riverside cycle path...


Not sure which of these photos is most illustrative (on my phone I have to zoom in to see the water as it blends into the trees), but this Stellplatz is as close as you get to the river and all pitches have some level of river view.

...whilst I turned right, for a circuit inside a meander in the river:

My route


After one lap of my route, I returned to Bertie for a change of shoes. See how all those tracks (loads of them as they're all through the vineyards) look the same? On the ground, some of them are tarmacked and some are unsurfaced. I'd expected to be using mainly the latter, but it turned out not to be so. For my second lap I had more appropriate shoes on.

See the big commercial goods barge in the lock? There are apparently 13 locks along the Mosel.

Looking down on the next meander along

I also took a minor shortcut at the end of Lap 2 as I'd promised Mick second breakfast at the bakery in the village, and they close for lunch at 1230. It was 1130 by the time we got there, and there was already a couple sitting at the only table. Fortunately, it's a table for six and they didn't mind us joining them (it turned out they're also staying on the Stellplatz).

Elevenses


As we ate our cake/pastry, the other couple finished their sandwiches and she disappeared back inside, returning with another round of drinks and a slice of quiche. It looked rather good, so by the time we left we also had two slices of quiche and another cake wrapped up for tea tonight. (All of that came to €14.90, which struck us as excellent value. We've paid more than that just for two teas and cakes in the UK.)

We both had work to do this afternoon, so we've been sitting at our laptops. It's a good location for the purpose, as not only is the view pleasing (during those pauses to stare through the window whilst thinking), but I think we've about exhausted things to do here so I didn't feel like I was missing anything by staying in. As nice as this Stellplatz is, and I can understand why people come here for extended stays, it's location inside, and at the very bottom of, a big meander in the river (the river is very meandery hereabouts), and the village being so small, are limiting factors for us.

The snap doesn't do justice to the size or quality of this quiche (should I clarify that a slice of this each wasn't the entirety of our tea? I also made a potato salad and a green(ish) salad to go with it).

We bought it not knowing what was inside the chocolate shell. The marzipan layer was a surprise, but a good one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment