Weather: One short, light shower. Decidedly cool compared to recent norms (but still pretty decent for the time of year).
The reason for staying in Wolverley for two nights was that I wanted to visit the cave houses at Kinver, and they're only open Friday to Sunday. I've been told that I've been there before, but as a child, when they were still openly accessible (they're now a National Trust Property, with a couple having been restored) but I have no memory of it.
Arriving at the same parking area where Mick picked me up on Wednesday, we didn't immediately rush to the National Trust entrance, but first walked up onto Kinver Edge, then along to where the Staffordshire/Worcestershire boundary runs across it, which I believe is the start/end point of the Staffordshire Way.
The only indication that this is true is subtle: there's a waymarker post that only has a Staffs Way marker on one side of it, not needing one the other side as the Way doesn't continue in that direction. As start/end of routes go, it's not a reliable way of marking it, given how many other places along the route have equally haphazard waymarking, for entirely different reasons.
I'd intended for us to do a circuit, but didn't remember that until we'd already walked half way back along the ridge. So, we continued as we were, then on past where we'd gained the edge, over the hill fort and down to the cave houses, where we walked three sides of its boundary to find the entrance.
There's not an awful lot at the property, but I'd not expected much, so I wasn't disappointed. As is our norm, we started out in the cafe (arriving at the tail end of an organised group, giving us quite a wait to be served), before visiting the three cave houses, two of which are restored and the other is just a large open room. All interesting enough.
And then we went home, getting ahead of Friday afternoon traffic, but it has to be said that it's a rather slow, fiddly route from Kinver, having to negotiate whole chunks of built-up areas.
Start of the Staffordshire Way (because there's a waymarker)End of the Staffs Way (because there's no waymarker). There's no county boundary markers either.


No comments:
Post a Comment