Sunday, 13 September 2026

Saturday & Sunday 12-13 September - Staffordshire Way (& The Gritstone Grind)

Where was Erica? She spent a night in the car park of the 'Double Tree by Hilton' hotel in Stoke-on-Trent at a cost of £5.23

Weather: Saturday - glorious morning, but rainy by the time I set out on the Staffs Way; Sunday - rainy early on, then fine and really quite warm (22 degrees) later on.

With fortuitous timing I looked at Facebook on Thursday night to find a 6-minute-old post from a race organiser asking for a volunteer, someone local to Kidsgrove, to help on registration for the Gritstone Grind race taking place today (Sunday 13th). 

If we look at it from a national or global point of view, I am local to Kidsgrove, but by most people's definitions of the term, I am not. I thus ignored that bit of the post and immediately volunteered. Aside from the fact that the reward was a free entry into any race (and this company's events usually sell out immediately on going on sale - last year they sold 500 Escape from Meriden places in 10 seconds!), I saw the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and to recce the northern end of the Staffordshire Way (SW). 

A minor spanner in the works was that on Friday we found that all campsites within a short drive of our destination were fully booked (who knew that the area around Stoke on Trent was such a destination?!) and the local Travelodge was £100. I was investigating car parks, when I came across Your Parking Space, which seems to be the Airbnb for parking, ranging from driveways of private houses, to the car parks of various types of business. Tesco in Kidsgrove was one option, but then I found that some hotels also sell spaces, and that appealed more for a quiet night. Nothing in the T/Cs says you can't sleep in your vehicle, so I booked it ... only then to notice that whereas some of the locations give a guaranteed space, others (like the one I'd chosen) don't, and if you arrive to find no space available then all you're entitled to is to be allocated a different location nearby. It then occurred to me that the hotel was quite possibly going to be a popular wedding venue on a Saturday. Still, it was cheap enough to be worth the punt. 

Saturday

We got Erica packed on Saturday morning (in glorious sunshine!) before I had time to look at a map and decide which section of the SW it made sense to check out that afternoon. Three minutes later, I had a plan (Uttoxeter to Denstone) and off we set (still in the sunshine). 

It was raining by the time I set out from Uttoxeter, exactly as forecast, and it turned out to be that inconvenient sort of weather where it's too warm to keep the waterproofs on when it's not raining, but too wet to not put them on during the showers. Add in that much of this route was through fields of long-ish grass (incredible how fast it's revived after being dead for so much of the summer), with not much by way of trodden lines, and it was a wet-footed outing too.

As for the route, it really had nothing to recommend it (or, more precisely, the two points of interest were both on roads, so could be visited by car) - it was mainly just a whole lot of fields. The one truly unpleasant section was as I walked the perimeter of Eaton Hall Shooting Ground, where a huge amount of gun activity was going on - at one point on both sides of me (ranges on the left, clay pigeons on the right). By the time I approached Denstone I was wondering whether there's any merit to this long distance trail, and whether it would remain a contender for me walking the whole thing.

I'd anticipated having tea and cake at the Farm Shop & Cafe in Denstone where I was meeting Mick, but he'd arrived to find that it was ridiculously popular. He managed to park, but gave up on queuing for the cafe, so he made do with a take-away coffee (to justify the parking) whilst waiting for me.  

Glamorous life that I lead, I had my cup of tea in a supermarket car park in Stoke, before heading over to the hotel at 3pm, finding not just a space, but a perfectly located one, tucked away in a corner.

Not wanting to spend the rest of the afternoon, plus the evening, just sitting in Erica, we headed out for ice cream, with the addition of a cup of tea and a crossword.  

There did transpire to be a wedding going on at the hotel, so it wasn't an entirely quiet night, but we weren't unduly disturbed and there were no boy-racers or noisy yoofs (which are the biggest Saturday night concerns). 

Sunday 

Up at 6 and away as promptly as we could manage, our first stop was McDonalds. I had a free coffee to redeem, and their toilet facilities were more convenient than Erica's. We arrived at Kidsgrove Sports Centre bang exactly when we needed to be there, but had run out of time to have breakfast.  

The next hour was busy - particularly once the coaches, transporting most competitors from the finish to the start, arrived. With our work done (about an hour, with a bit of loitering afterwards to see the racers off), and after breakfast in Erica, it was a ten minute drive to Mow Cop (every time, my fingers type it as Cow Mop then have to correct it!), where Mick dropped me and I made a veritable meal of finding the start of the Way. 

What a contrast to yesterday! Today's route had so much merit - starting with Mow Cop castle:

On the 1:50k map, it doesn't look like there's anything remarkable about the village...

...but zoom into 1:25k and you find that there's a chunk of access land, atop a hill, in the middle of the village. 

Ruins of a castle, shapely rocks, extensive views (slightly curtailed by the weather), nice rooty and rocky paths through woodland - and it seemed like 95% of the first 5km were downhill, with the next section being a gently-descending disused railway. Then came a Marilyn, The Cloud, which I first visited in November 2014, then again in February 2015. I had far more favourable conditions today than on either of those occasions. 

It was on my way up there that I passed a couple of Gritstone Grind racers (I'd assumed I would be behind the field by the time I'd set out). I met another on the summit and a few more before the two trails diverged near Rushton Spencer, spending about a kilometre with one woman whose name/number I failed to note, so I can't look to see how she got on. 

By the time I approached Rudyard Reservoir, Mick had visited Biddulph Grange Gardens and then relocated himself to the Rudyard Hotel. There he found the parking fee was £3, or free if you spent £5 at the hotel - so he effectively got coffee and cake for £2, which was good fuel to then walk out to meet me, fortunately calling me only just after we'd walked past each other on different paths.

So, the Staffordshire Way may have redeemed itself today, although being just one 20k section of a 150k trail, I perhaps need to choose some more bits at random to check out before I decide whether it's a worthwhile route. 

I've inserted/deleted the photos 3 times and Google is absolutely insistent that they are going in reverse order today, and I'm not feeling moved to insert them one-by-one. 

  

 Low water at Rudyard Reservoir

Atop The Cloud
After 5k of downhill, I was faced with steps that were made for giants (this photo does not do justice to the height of those risers)
Slightly marred by the weather, but still an excellent viewpoint
Shapely rock, of which I was sure I took a better photo, but this is the one I seem to have uploaded.
Mow Cop Castle
Gritstone Grind start (I'd say that start/finish arch should have been the other way around). I'd given every single one of these people their bib. Mick had given them their timing chips. 
Right at the end of Saturday's walk there were these structures across the road - presumably once the entrance and (very small) gatehouse for some estate.
Old mill at Rocester, now a training centre/college
The prettiest bit of scenery on the route (but just behind me I'd had to walk through a patch of nettles, and just ahead of me was overgrown too). 
What most of Uttoxeter to Denstone was like (those cows were just thinking about following me when I reached the stile to exit the field)

I chose an attractive point to join the trail on Saturday morning!
 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment