Where was Bertie? He was still at Wolverley C&CC Site
Weather: After a cool night (5 degrees said the forecast and we wished we'd put a blanket on the bed), a fine day with a high of 19 degrees.
Our intention to walk the 3.5k along the canal into Kidderminster for a look around and a cafe visit got modified when I picked three locations at random in the town on Google StreetView. My random picks may have been bad, but it didn't look an inviting destination, so instead we headed the other way to the village of Cookley.
The walk was pleasant enough, with a few narrow boats on the move and with the route being pleasantly tree lined, with one section of the waterway having been hewn through the sandstone. As for the cafe: if I was to be charitable I would say that it was an interesting and memorable experience ... but the words 'Acorn Antiques' also sprang to mind - quite appropriately too as it was located in an antiques/tat shop.
The real low-light was that my cup and saucer were filthy, and it wasn't tea-staining, but some sort of dregs of food all over them. In fact, I wondered if the saucer had been used to feed the owner's dog (which sat quietly on a chair most of the time we were there) and not washed. Did I complain and ask for a clean set? No, because apparently I'm going soft in my older age, and the two ladies running the place were trying so hard to be friendly that I worked on the basis that the hot water makes a cup of tea self-sterilising (which is the basis on which I have never washed my own mug during a multi-week backpack), and here I am a week later, still alive.
Back at Bertie, most of the rest of the day was spent watching the cricket (ODI against Sri Lanka, with a disappointing result), with an interlude when we nipped to the pub next door for tea. The pub was far less entertaining than the cafe, which was a good thing!


No comments:
Post a Comment